Virtual Spectator Announces New 3D Race Viewer
Media Release 22 November 2002
Click For Big Version Of Screen Shot
VIRTUAL SPECTATOR ANNOUNCES NEW 3D RACE VIEWER FEATURES FOR LOUIS VUITTON CUP
Leading interactive sports entertainment company Virtual Spectator today launched new features to hot up its premium internet 3D service for the Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup.
New enhancements include wind speed, an instrumentation panel with course bearings to show boat direction and a display that gives leg times as well as distance and time to the next mark.
Chief Executive, Greg Young says the premium 3D animation has been significantly enhanced to give people the ultimate viewer experience.
"Virtual Spectator now delivers more features then ever so viewers have an opportunity to learn about match racing strategy. New menu options include the boat's wind shadow to show 'dirty air' and transom lines for when the boats are overlapping (new rules apply)," says Greg.
For the first time, Virtual Spectator also includes audio with a gunshot to announce the start of a race and mark roundings. "Many of our viewers are often working on their computers, the gunshot feature will ensure they don't miss the action."
According to Greg, the development team has spent a lot of time reviewing customer feedback to ensure Virtual Spectator makes the most appropriate enhancements.
"We met with syndicate representatives, Bruno Troublé representing Louis Vuitton, journalists in the Media Centre and read hundreds of emails from our subscribers," says Greg. "With Virtual Spectator being the only way to watch all the races live and in 3D it's important we get it right."
Virtual Spectator enables viewers to choose how they watch the sailing races including upwind, downwind, from the top of a mast, from a helicopter or from the helm. It also provides up-to-date weather information, race results and streaming text to explain race tactics and details for each challenge.
Greg Young says Virtual Spectator is well on its way to having 100,000 internet subscriptions for the Louis Vuitton and America's Cup regattas, almost double the last event.
"These new features further emphasise Virtual Spectator's leadership position in the field of interactive sports entertainment products."
- An audible gunshot to announce the start and mark roundings so that users do not miss critical points in the race.
- Ability to "jump back" and review events such as mark roundings during a LIVE race.
- A timing panel including elapsed leg times as well as distance and time to the next mark.
- An instrumentation panel that includes dynamic compass headings showing course bearings.
- Wind speed displayed in the viewer at all times.
- Animated wind shadows that show "dirty air" from the boats and how this is effecting the other competitor.
- A display showing what leg the boats are currently on.
- Transom lines to highlight whether the trailing boat has achieved an overlapped position.
- Keyboard shortcuts for the more common menu selections to ease use of the product.