Art & Entertainment | Book Reviews | Education | Entertainment Video | Health | Lifestyle | Sport | Sport Video | Search

 

Holiday Period Warning Beacon


Holiday Period Warning Beacon

Water Safety New Zealand (WSNZ) has pleaded for common sense and caution when it comes to water based activities throughout the holiday period.

Executive Director of Water Safety New Zealand, Alan Muir said that over the past 10 years, on average 11 people have drowned during the official holiday period. This years holiday period runs from 4pm Xmas eve until 8am on 5 January.

"The holiday atmosphere, a focus on fun and festivities at this time of year are a lethal combination. Water and alcohol certainly don't mix".

Drowning that occurs as a result of recreational activity is almost always avoidable and is such a waste of life. Over the past 10 years 69 (62%) of the 112 holiday period drownings have been recreational. Most of these have been swimming, underwater, boating and fishing activities. The remaining 43 (38%) have been in non-recreational activities (where the victim had no intention of being in the water) so everybody is at risk regardless.

The messages are simple and clear, and generally people have been heeding them.

"Just a few of them are; prepare well for any outing around an aquatic environment, check the weather and water conditions before you go, swim in safe places, like between the flags at beaches, check river depth and speed of the current, take appropriate safety equipment and never swim alone" said Mr Muir.

For more information on what to do when in, on or under the water this summer visit one of the following websites: http://www.watersafety.org.nz, http://www.riversafe.org.nz, http://www.boatsafe.org.nz or http://www.poolsafe.org.nz


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 


Howard Davis: Emerald Fennell's Promising Young Woman'


The Guardian needed not one, but three reviews to do justice to Fennell's unsettling approach, which indicates exactly how ambiguous and controversial its message really is. More>>


Howard Davis: Jill Trevelyan's Rita Angus

Although Angus has become one of Aotearoa’s best-loved painters, the story of her life remained little known and poorly understood before Jill Trevelyan's acclaimed and revelatory biography, which won the Non Fiction Award at the Montana New Zealand Book Awards in 2009, and has now been republished by Te Papa press. More>>

Howard Davis: The Back of the Painting

Painting conservators are the forensic pathologists of the art world. While they cannot bring their subjects back to life, they do provide fascinating insights into the precise circumstances of a painting's creation, its material authenticity, and constructive methodology. More>>


Howard Davis: Black Panthers on the Prowl

A passionate and gripping political drama from Shaka King, this is an informative and instructive tale of human frailty that centers around the charismatic Chicago Black Panther leader Fred Hampton, who was murdered at the age of twenty-one during a police raid. More>>

Howard Davis: Controlling the High Ground

Stephen Johnson's raw and angry film not only poses important questions with scrupulous authenticity, but also provides a timely reminder of the genocidal consequences of casual bigotry and xenophobia. More>>

Howard Davis: Dryzabone - Robert Conolly's The Dry

After the terrible devastation caused by last year’s bushfires, which prompted hundreds of Australians to shelter in the ocean to escape incineration and destroyed uncountable amounts of wildlife, The Dry has been released during a totally different kind of dry spell. More>>


Howard Davis: Hit the Road, Jack - Chloé Zhao's Nomadland

Nomadland is perhaps the ultimately 'road' movie as it follows a group of dispossessed and disenfranchised vagabonds who find a form of communal refuge in camp sites and trailer parks after the economic contraction of 2008. More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • CULTURE
  • HEALTH
  • EDUCATION
 
 
  • Wellington
  • Christchurch
  • Auckland