Art & Entertainment | Book Reviews | Education | Entertainment Video | Health | Lifestyle | Sport | Sport Video | Search

 

Unwanted Xmas gifts look for new home on Trade Me

Unwanted Christmas gifts look for new home on Trade Me

Thousands of unwanted Christmas gifts are looking for a new home via online marketplace Trade Me. Over 10,000 listings had been added to the website since Christmas Day, with half estimated to be from sellers cashing in their gifts.

Trade Me spokesman Paul Ford said the results of a recent poll on the website also indicated New Zealanders continued to embrace the concept of regifting. “In the week leading into Christmas, we asked people if the idea of reselling or passing on a gift on to someone else was acceptable and 65 per cent agreed it was okay.”

He said the number of items labelled “unwanted gift” on the site was probably only the tip of the regifting iceberg. “Many people feel guilty selling a gift so might not admit these are the things that caused inward groans when they were unwrapped on Friday.”

Traditionally, the items most likely to be regifted included mobile phone accessories, women’s clothing, fishing gear, cosmetics, jewellery, CDs and DVDs, ties, chocolates and kitchen appliances.

Ford said an American study (commissioned by eBay) found that most people received a Yuletide gift they did not want. “The finding was that 83% of Americans get an unwanted present at Christmas – I think that probably indicates that the other 17% didn’t answer the survey truthfully.”

Trade Me has its busiest time in the lead-in to Christmas, and then its quietest day on Christmas Day itself. Traffic starts to pick up today (Boxing Day) with the regifting bounceback, and returns to normal levels as people come back from holiday in early January.

For any etymologists out there, the word “regift” was introduced to the English language via the neurotic character of George Costanza in a 1995 episode of Seinfeld.

The golden rules of regifting

1. Remove the card and don’t recycle the crinkled Xmas wrapping paper
2. Don’t on-sell handmade items
3. Move heaven and earth to ensure you do not end up selling it to the person who gave it to you

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 


Howard Davis: Emerald Fennell's Promising Young Woman'


The Guardian needed not one, but three reviews to do justice to Fennell's unsettling approach, which indicates exactly how ambiguous and controversial its message really is. More>>


Howard Davis: Jill Trevelyan's Rita Angus

Although Angus has become one of Aotearoa’s best-loved painters, the story of her life remained little known and poorly understood before Jill Trevelyan's acclaimed and revelatory biography, which won the Non Fiction Award at the Montana New Zealand Book Awards in 2009, and has now been republished by Te Papa press. More>>

Howard Davis: The Back of the Painting

Painting conservators are the forensic pathologists of the art world. While they cannot bring their subjects back to life, they do provide fascinating insights into the precise circumstances of a painting's creation, its material authenticity, and constructive methodology. More>>


Howard Davis: Black Panthers on the Prowl

A passionate and gripping political drama from Shaka King, this is an informative and instructive tale of human frailty that centers around the charismatic Chicago Black Panther leader Fred Hampton, who was murdered at the age of twenty-one during a police raid. More>>

Howard Davis: Controlling the High Ground

Stephen Johnson's raw and angry film not only poses important questions with scrupulous authenticity, but also provides a timely reminder of the genocidal consequences of casual bigotry and xenophobia. More>>

Howard Davis: Dryzabone - Robert Conolly's The Dry

After the terrible devastation caused by last year’s bushfires, which prompted hundreds of Australians to shelter in the ocean to escape incineration and destroyed uncountable amounts of wildlife, The Dry has been released during a totally different kind of dry spell. More>>


Howard Davis: Hit the Road, Jack - Chloé Zhao's Nomadland

Nomadland is perhaps the ultimately 'road' movie as it follows a group of dispossessed and disenfranchised vagabonds who find a form of communal refuge in camp sites and trailer parks after the economic contraction of 2008. More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • CULTURE
  • HEALTH
  • EDUCATION
 
 
  • Wellington
  • Christchurch
  • Auckland