Yachting’s big Awards
Yachting’s big Awards – Service and Performance Winners announced today
The Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards, to be held on 27 November in 2015 is yachting and boating’s big night of the year when achievements and service in the sport are recognised and celebrated.
Yachting New Zealand has today announced a list of those to be awarded and recognised in 2015, setting the scene for the major announcement of 2015 Sailor of the Year for the Sir Bernard Fergusson trophy, to be revealed on Awards night.
The top honour is New Zealand’s highest recognition within the sport of sailing; it is presented annually and dates back to 1963. The winner will join a long list of highly accomplished kiwi sailors.
Also under wraps until 27 November are winners in the Volvo Young Sailor of the Year and Aon Emerging Talent Award, Nespresso Coach of the Year, Zhik Official of the Year, as well as the Yachting New Zealand President’s Award, supported by Fuji Xerox.
Peter Lester will be Master of Ceremonies, ensuring this year’s Awards presentation will be a fabulous celebration of the year of sailing. Tickets are on sale now.
Winners announced today are;
Yachting New Zealand Service Awards for 2015
• Merlin Caskie – for services to Panmure Lagoon Sailing Club
• Matt Hall-Smith – for services to French Bay Yacht Club
• Dave Gunn – for services to Murrays Bay Sailing Club
• Martin Tasker – for broadcasting services to yachting
• Bill Miller – for services to Stewart 34 racing
• Rob Burn – for services to Queen Charlotte Yacht Club
• Craig Jones – for services to yacht race handicapping
• Phil Turner – for services to youth sailing
• Roger Badham – for weather forecasting services to yachting
• Will Calver – for promotion of sailing through photography
Yachting New Zealand Performance Awards for 2015
• Dave Shaw –
Paper Tiger International Champion (three consecutive
• Peter Burling and Blair Tuke – 49er, Moth, AC45
• Alex Maloney and Molly Meech – 49erFX class
• Daryl Wislang – Winner Volvo Ocean Race (Abu Dhabi)
• Matt Stechmann – Winner 2014 OK Dinghy World Champs
• Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders – Nacra 17 class
• Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie- Women’s 470
• Scott Leith – 2015 Laser Radial Masters World Champ
• Luke O’Connell – Silver medal 2014 OK Dinghy World Champs
• Grant Loretz – Sole kiwi on the highly successful TP52 Azzurra
Yachting New Zealand Youth Performance Awards for 2015
• Alastair Gifford (Queen Charlotte Yacht Club) – Byte II class
• Sam Bacon (Worser Bay Boating Club) – 2015 Optimist National Champion and P Class Tanner Cup winner
• Jackson Keon and Nick Egnot-Johnson (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 29er class
• Josh Armit (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) - 2015 Starling National Champion
• James Wilson and Oscar Gunn (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 29er class
• Tam Lindsay and William McKenzie (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 29er class