SCAPE Public Art Season 2017 - 7 October - 18 November
SCAPE Public Art Season 2017 - 7 October - 18 November : What's On?
Wayne Barrar In/Visible Landscape 2017. Image courtesy of the artist, McNamara Gallery, Whanganui and Milford Galleries, Dunedin.
Opening Weekend, Public Programme &
'ARE PASIFIKA (House Pasifika)
Local and internationally-renowned artists will indulge Christchurch with a feast of public art work for six weeks between 7 October – 18 November 2017. Popping up all around the city, the artworks are linked via the SCAPE Public Art Walkway and connected by the theme Time in Space (territories and flow). Managing Curator, Heather Galbraith has brought together an exciting mix of artworks. Expect to be wowed by giant sculptures, intrigued by some complex themes, and even experience art in the sky!
Check out all the things you can see, do and explore throughout the SCAPE Public Art Season 2017, in our three programmes below:
Margaret Mahy Family Playground
Saturday 7 October
• Hellers Family Event 10am - 2pm
• Curator's Tour 2pm
Botanic Gardens ilex Function Room
Sunday 8 October
• Artist and Curator Discussions 11am - 3:15pm
• Director's Welcome 11am
• Curator's Introduction 11:15am
• Artists' Panel #1 11:45am
• Oceans apart - artist and her mother discuss 'ARE PASIFIKA 1:30pm
• Artists' Panel #2 2:15pm
• Print your own Pareu Saturday 21 October, 12pm - 4pm
• Ei Katu Workshop Sunday 22 October, 1pm - 4pm
• Jump on the Vaka Tuesday and Wednesday 24 and 25 October, 2pm
• Y-NOT Performance Workshop Saturday & Sunday 28 & 29 October, 12pm - 4pm
• 'ARE PASIFIKA Art by Tram Friday 3 November, 6pm - 7:30pm
• Pake Party Saturday 4 November, 11am - 4pm
• 'ARE PASIFIKA Exhibition Saturday 4 November - Saturday 18 November, 11am - 4pm daily
It's FUN, it's ART, it's FREE!
Come along and enjoy a FREE art activity inspired by artists involved in our SCAPE Public Art Season 2017. Something fun involving art for the second week of the school holidays.
Sessions last for approximately 1 hour. Group bookings can be made for any age group, however individual bookings are recommended for children aged 5 -12 years.
Offered at 10am and 1pm daily, there is a choice of 3 activities.
Create artworks based on traditional body adornments of the Pacific Islands with Artist, Nina Oberg Humphries.
Make a unique blueprint artwork in response to Julia Morison's work, Tree Houses for Swamp Dwellers.
Be inspired by the concept design ideas behind Peter Atkins' work,Under Construction - Chaos and Order.
We are offering a FREE Education Programme based around the SCAPE Public Art Walkway situated in central Christchurch between October 16 - November 16.
Join our guides for an informative and inspiring tour of temporary and permanent artworks.
The SCAPE Public Art Season 2017 profiles key elements related to Public Art:
• SCAPE Public Art Walkway - Links the Season's artworks together
• Time in Space (territories and flow) - Heather Galbraith’s curated exhibition of public artwork
• Re:ACTIVATE Kids and Teen - Exhibition of two aspiring young artists' public artworks
• SCAPE Education – Classroom programme and art making activities
• SCAPE Public Programme - Artists talks, screenings and events, many free for the public
• STUDIO 125 GALLERY - Will exhibit sculptures, paintings, photographs, ceramics and limited editions by SCAPE artists for sale.
• SCAPE Events - Including an opening weekend of youth, family and children-focused free events