2019 New Zealander of the Year Awards Update
7th September 2018
The New Zealander of the Year Awards office is pleased to provide the following nominations update for the 2019 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year Awards:
• The awards have now received 325 nominations and counting for the title of Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year.
• Current nominations for the prestigious award now include the former Science Advisor to the Prime Minister Sir Peter Gluckman, public health advocate Marewa Glover, and 15-year-old Deadpool 2 actor Julian Dennison.
• New Zealander of the Year Awards manager Glyn Taylor said the recent surge in nominations reflect the people of the moment.
“Every year we receive nominations for those who bring positive change to New Zealand, in fields such as mental health, poverty, healthcare, the environment and social justice. Clearly these people have made a profound impact on the lives of many ordinary New Zealanders.
“We also see a number of nominations for people of the moment – those individuals that dominate the news agenda at this time of year. Several nominations have been received for the Prime Minister, Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern as well as her baby, Neve.”
• Examples of those now nominated for the 2019 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year award are:
o Ian Taylor (Dunedin) –former television
presenter and businessman.
o Sam Stubbs (Auckland) – founder and CEO of Simplicity.
o Dom Harvey (Auckland) – The Edge Radio presenter and marathon runner.
o Julian Dennison (Lower Hutt) – actor.
o Brodie Retallick (Hawke’s Bay) – All Black.
o Robert Choy (Auckland) – Chief Executive of Nga Tangata Microfinance.
o Olivia Wensley (Otago) – former lawyer and #metoo advocate.
o Moana Jackson (Wellington) – Treaty of Waitangi and constitutional issues lawyer.
o Marewa Glover (Auckland) – public health academic specialising in smoking cessation.
o Sir Peter Gluckman (Auckland) – former science advisor to the Prime Minister.
o Stu Muir (Waikato) – dairy farmer.
After nominations close on 17th September 2018, a judging panel – comprising representatives of awards patrons, presenters, sponsors, community leaders and independent experts – will evaluate the nominations. The shortlist of 10 candidates to be considered for the New Zealander of the Year Award will be announced in December.
Nominations are also being sought for exceptional New Zealanders in the following categories:
• University of Auckland Young New Zealander of the
Year (15-30 years).
• Metlifecare Senior New Zealander of the Year (67 years and over).
• Kiwibank New Zealand Local Hero of the Year.
• Sanitarium New Zealand Innovator of the Year.
• Mitre10 New Zealand Community of the Year.
The annual New Zealander of the Year awards are in their 10th year. They recognise, encourage and reward New Zealand's most vital asset – its people. They are open to all New Zealanders and celebrate the contributions of New Zealanders from all walks of life.
The 2019 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year will be announced at the New Zealander of the Year Gala Awards in Auckland on 13th February 2018.
Previous winners of the New Zealander of the Year Award are: Kristine Bartlett (2018) Taika Waititi (2017), Richie McCaw (2016), Sir Stephen Tindall (2015), Dr Lance O’Sullivan (2014), Dame Anne Salmond (2013), Sir Richard Taylor (2012), Sir Paul Callaghan (2011) and Sir Ray Avery (2010).
For more information or to nominate someone for the 2019 New Zealander of the Year Awards visit www.nzawards.org.nz.