Education leadership unites on flawed Budget class sizes
5 June 2012
Education leadership group unites over flawed Budget class size decision
The sector meeting acknowledged the current economic climate and agreed that the Government’s Budget announcements, including increases in class size, are educationally flawed, contrary to the best interests of students and are collectively rejected by teachers, principals and Boards of Trustees.
We urge the Government to reverse the staffing announcements made in the Budget, including increases in class size, and enter into immediate discussions with the joint sector leadership group on how to sustain and continually improve the quality of teaching and the achievement of students.
We ask the Government to listen to the combined voice of the school sector, parent and public opinion and scrap this policy before damage is done to our children’s education.
The group has asked for an urgent meeting with the Minister of Education and has called for a halt on any implementation of the Budget decision.
• NZEI Te Riu Roa
• NZAIMS – NZ Association of Intermediate and Middle Schooling
• NZSTA – NZ School Trustees Association
• PPTA - Post Primary Teachers Association
• NZPF - New Zealand Principals’ Federation
• SPANZ - Secondary Principals’ Association of NZ
• PPTA Secondary Principals Council