Naked In Nuhaka: Bay Day
This is Naked in Nuhaka, a weekly rant on identity in NZ in the 21st Century. Today is HB Anniversary Day, so I'm taking a "Bay Day" and not writing a "full-on" column this week. Instead, here's something on a quite different tangent to keep the readership happy.
Below, I've posted a petition that has been making its rounds all over the Net. It's for "Kaupapa Wairoa!", the World's First Maori Regional Tourism Brand! The intention is to give Wairoa district a Maori brand -- Kaupapa Wairoa! -- and lead the way as the first district in the nation to do so. Full details on the proposal are below.
I've been getting a pretty good response to the petition, including a lovely email from Keri Hulme in the Okarito Free Republic!
- "I remember Wairoa for a fabulous Maori Artists & Writers Hui in the 1970s... kia kaha to mahi - kia ora mai na Keri Hulme."
Some other comments:
- "I tautoko your efforts in Wairoa and hope as I am sure you will get the support needed" - Benita Tahuri - Helensville.
- "I have no ties to Wairoa, but I like the concept of what you are trying to do and as such offer my support everyone should be proud of where they live and shout loudly its praises" - Ron & Wanda Taiapa
- "Thank you for the panui, I will forward it onto my whanau" - Mark Ihaka Whaanga, Tamaki Makaurau
"I have no family in Wairoa, but I have friends and I have a personal and family heritage as a fourth generation pakeha New Zealander for whom .... Maori IS an INTEGRAL part of who I am" - Max Harre, Titirangi
Other snippets: My mother Huia Koziol was interviewed in Te Reo Maori on Ruia Mai radio earlier this week on the brand idea (unfortunately its a Tamaki Makaurau station, so I didn't get to hear it!). And apparently its made the rounds on the "Tino Rangatiratanga" and "Kahunungu" Yahoo group mailouts (Tu Meke, whanau, for embracing the Net and all the possibilities it offers Maori development!!!).
Other than that, I've unfortunately only got 25 names through email, so I encourage each of you who read this to email me their support (if you tautoko this) directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org EMAIL ME BACK DIRECTLY AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR KAUPAPA WAIROA!!
Have a great long weekend! :)
TAUTOKO "KAUPAPA WAIROA!"
PLEASE SIGN, FORWARD, AND RETURN TO ME AT email@example.com NOTE: ALL PEOPLE WHO TAUTOKO (SUPPORT) THIS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SIGN THIS, NOT JUST WAIROA RESIDENTS!!!
As some of you may already know, the people of Wairoa are currently looking to lead the way by becoming the first district in the nation of Aotearoa New Zealand to brand itself with a Maori identity: "KAUPAPA WAIROA!". "Kaupapa" means "All About Wairoa", all there is to know, all there is to learn, all there is to experience. One option for the full brand that has been put forward is "KAUPAPA WAIROA: Think, Discover, Be!".
Certain vocal segments of the Wairoa community, for various reasons, have stated disconcerted opposition to "KAUPAPA WAIROA". It is my belief, however, that the "silent majority" of the people of the Wairoa district support the use of "KAUPAPA WAIROA", or at the very least are neutral and do not oppose it. Therefore I have started this email petition for people to vocalise their support for "KAUPAPA WAIROA".
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE WAIROA DISTRICT TO SIGN THIS PETITION. If you grew up here, or have family/whanau links here, then sign the petition for that reason. If you are a New Zealander (anywhere in the world!) excited at the potential for a part of our country to lead the way and brand themselves with a Maori name (like Te Papa has done so successfully, but not without controversy!), then sign the petition for that reason. If you simply care about THE FUTURE OF INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES, then sign the petition for that reason.
All I am looking for is a sense of the numbers of people who TAUTOKO (SUPPORT) the idea of KAUPAPA WAIROA!, the WORLD'S FIRST MAORI REGIONAL TOURISM BRAND! Please add your name to the list below, and forward it on to friends, family and whanau in the district, across the country, and around the world.
NOTE: Could EVERY PERSON to sign the petition please return a copy BACK TO ME at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nuhaka, Wairoa District, AOTEAROA New Zealand
October 16, 2002
SUPPORT KAUPAPA WAIROA
COMMUNITY PETITION: TAUTOKO KAUPAPA WAIROA!
1. I generally support the adoption of KAUPAPA WAIROA as the brand identity for Wairoa and district, including Waikaremoana, Tuai, Frasertown, Ruakituri, Te Reinga, Rangiahua, North Clyde, Wairoa township, Waihua, Mohaka, Raupunga, Kotemaori, Iwitea, Whakaki, Tahaenui, Nuhaka, Morere, Opoutama, Mahanga, Mahia Beach, Mahia township, Mahia peninsula, and Oraka; and
2. I support, endorse, and give permission for this petition supporting KAUPAPA WAIROA to be forwarded to the Wairoa Star newspaper for community consideration; and
3. I support, endorse, and give permission for this petition to be forwarded to the Wairoa District Council for consideration and adoption of KAUPAPA WAIROA as the brand identity for Wairoa and district.
NAME / ADDRESS / LOCATION / IWI (IF RELEVANT)
1. Leo Koziol, Postal Agency, Nuhaka
2. Huia Koziol, Postal Agency, Nuhaka (Rakaipaaka/Kahungunu)
3. Leo Koziol Sr., Postal Agency, Nuhaka (Pakeha)
4. Alan Chilcott, 1A / 17 Blake St Ponsonby, Auckland 1001 (Pakeha)
5. Catherine Delahunty, 21 Norman Rd Gisborne (Pakeha)
6. Pat Hill, Island Bay, Poneke (Pakeha)
7. Brendan Sweetman, Tennessee, USA (Rakaipaaka/Kahungunu)
8. Keri Hulme, Te Akau, Okarito, Mahitahi, Tai Poutini, PO Box 1, Whataroa,
South Westland (Kai Tahu, Poutini Kaitahu)
9. Mark Ihaka Whaanga, 62 Hollyford Drive, Manukau (Ngati Kahungunu)
10.Vera Keefe, Raupunga (Ngati Kurahikakawa / Pahauwera o Ngati Kahungunu)
11. Sophie Keefe, Raupunga
12. Olga Rameka, 44 B Scannel Street Taupo (Ngati Kurahikakawa/Pahauwera)
13. Panapa Keefe, Raupunga (Ngati Kurahikakawa/Pahauwera)
14. Te Akonga Keefe, Raupunga (Ngati Kurahikakawa/Pahauwera)
15. Tepora Kupe, 19 Bledisloe Crescent, Wainuiomata, Rakaipaaka/TeAtiawa
16. Max Harre, PO Box 60-344, Titirangi, Waitakere City.
17. Benita Tahuri 78 Garfield ROad, Helensville Auckland
18. Noeline Tahuri, 23 Porter Crescent, Helensville Auckland
19. Gareth Seymour, 218 Livingstone Rd, Marrickville NSW, Australia
20. Patricia Taylor, Dromana VIC, Australia
21. Larry Grooby, Lake
Waikaremoana Motor Camp, Lake Waikaremoana
22. Jill Grooby, Lake Waikaremoana Motor Camp, Lake Waikaremoana
23. Georgina Parata, Ranui, Waitakere City
24. Raina Ferris, kia kaha!
25. Muhammad-eShaq (Ihaka) Kireka-Whaanga (Ngati Rongomaiwahine)
26. Reretapua-Jameelah Hawkins-Whaanga (Ngati Rongomaiwahine)
27. Elijah Kireka-Whaanga (Ngati Rongomaiwahine)
28. Aisha Kireka-Whaanga (Ngati Rongomaiwahine)
29. Abdullah Kireka-Whaanga (Ngati Rongomaiwahine)
30. Muhammad-Kahungunu Kireka-Whaanga (Ngati Rongomaiwahine)
31. Mustafa Paikea Kireka-Whaanga
32. Ron & Wanda Taiapa