Govt. Launches Legal Action Against IBM - Secrets And Lies: The Native Logging Scandal FULL COVERAGE - Scoops Of The Day - Kevin Roberts Letter From Manilla -Baby Blood - Scott Watson and much more...
Govt. Launches Legal Action Against IBM
- The Crown issued legal proceedings today against IBM NZ and IBM Corporation in relation to the INCIS contract, Finance Minister Sir William Birch announced today. See... Crown Issues Legal Proceedings Against IBM  in the Parliament wire.
Secrets And Lies: The Native Logging Scandal
- Nicky Hager,
the author of Secret Power - the bestseller that documents
New Zealand's involvement in the global spy community - has
just written a book documenting how a public relations
company has worked to eliminate public debate over native
logging by the State Owned Enterprise Timberlands West Coast
limited. Secrets and Lies was written after Hager was leaked
a stack of papers from Timberlands' public relations
company, Shandwick, which shows how highly questionable
methods were used to discredit protestors and shut up debate
on the issue. See... Timberlands Book Makes Worries For
Government  in the Headlines wire. The Green Party
has immediately called on State Owned Enterprises Minister
Tony Ryall to initiate an investigation into Timberlands
following the allegations in the book. See... Greens Urge Ryall To Initiate Timberlands
in the Parliament wire.
Timberlands Is - Presumably - Now Reading
- Timberlands' CEO Dave Hilliard says he has not seen the book and cannot comment on the accuracy of allegations. See... Timberlands CEO On Allegations  in the Politics wire.
Info Pack On Timberlands Allegations
- A series of
information releases have been provided to accompany the
launch of Secrets and Lies. The book by Bob Burton and Nicky
Hager claims Timberlands Worked To "Neutralise"
Greenies  and that Timberlands actively targeted the
Labour Party due to fears that a change of government would
see the end of native logging. See... State Company Targets Labour Party  .
The book alleges that West Coasters Manipulated By PR Campaign
 and that Jenny Shipley was behind the vigorous
political lobbying. See... Jenny Shipley Behind SOE's Political
Lobbying  . See also... State Company's Dirty Tricks Exposed 
A href="http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO9908/S00040.htm" TARGET="NRmain">Secrets And Lies - Background Info On Writers  . All in the Politics wire.
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO9908/S00041.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO9908/S00039.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO9908/S00038.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO9908/S00037.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO9908/S00036.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO9908/S00040.htm
Scoop is heading for a very high rating day today - the top 20 so far - at 2.30pm  is in the News Monitor wire.
The Next Step In The Blood Access Debate
- This erosion of 'the spirit' of Privacy Act rights must surely be destined for a legislative tidy-up. That's clearly the next step necessary in the DNA-Blood-Library paternity case debate consuming the minds of Auckland's legal fraternity this week. Scoop's Selwyn Manning reports. See... Paternity-Blood-Access Ruling Needs Legislation  in the Headlines wire.
Kevin Roberts' Letter From Manilla
- Kevin Roberts has delivered another speech on his vision for the future. "I've called it Nine Muses after the daughters of Zeus who have inspired creativity over the centuries. I hope you find some inspiration too", Kevin says. See... Kevin Roberts Speech: Nine Muses  in the Business wire.
Watson Trial - Hair Likely From Olivia, Defence Go On Offense
- A forensic scientist said today that DNA analysis on a blonde hair found on Watson's boat showed that the hair was very likley to have come from Olivia Hope. The tests on the DNA were done in Australia and similar tests in Britain confirmed the findings. The defence for Watson are suggesting that the hairs were mixed up in the lab and that the hairs tested may be sample hairs from Olivia's room. The forensic scientist said she couldn't completely rule the possibility out. See also.. TV1 News  and TV 3 6pm News  in the News Monitor wire.
Crisis At Rotorua Hospital
- Alliance Health spokesperson Phillida Bunkle says cuts have led to a crisis at Rotorus Hospital. See... Emergency Surgery Falls Over  in the Parliament wire.
New Contract Offer For Ansett Pilots
- Ansett New Zealand Ltd has advised the pilots' union, ALPA, that it has prepared a further contract offer for pilots. The offer will be forwarded to the union later this week. See... Ansett Promises New Contract Offer For Pilots  in the Business wire.
Telecom Profits Up As It Sets Off On Internet Hunt
- Telecom posted a $202 million profit for the quarter ended June 30. This return is up 2.7 per cent on last years corresponding quarter. The company says they experienced strong growth in data and cellular services. Laile Harre is worried about Telecom "capturing the internet" in the Parliament wire.
Albright Coming To APEC
- The United States is strengthening its contingent scheduled for the APEC leaders summit in Auckland next month, with Secretary of State Madeleine Albright confirmed to attend. See... USA's Albright To Attend APEC  in the Auckland wire.
Plunket Supping With The Devil
- The Libertarianz are neither impressed nor surprised by Jenny Shipley's decision to subsidise Plunketline from the public trough. See... Plunket Sups With The Devil  in the Politics wire.
Green MP Ahead In Coromandel
- Another key electorate in the coming election is the Coromandel. If Green MP Jeanette Fitzsimons wins the seat over encumbent Nat Murray McLean it will guarantee Green MPs, and more support for a new government, in Parliament. A poll of the seat yesterday showed Fitzsimons in front. See... Poll Shows Fitzsimons Ahead In Coromandel  in the Parliament wire.
Nats Disappointed At Labour Cannabis Review
- Minister of Youth Affairs, Tony Ryall, said yesterday that he was disappointed at Labour's pledge to review New Zealand's cannabis laws. See... Labour's Cannabis Pledge "Disappointing"  in the Parliament wire.