Winston holds Tauranga by 62 VOTES! And all the rest of the days news...
Back To Fight Another Day - Jeanette And Rod
HELEN CLARK SAYS WINSTON HAS WON
- Helen Clark says she has heard that Winston has won. However no official result has been declared yet.
Green party co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons has won the seat of Coromandel by 246 votes and will take five MPs into Parliament with her. Ms Fitzsimons needed to claw back a 114 majority to National MP Murray McLean on election night on special votes. See... Newsflash: Greens Expect To Win Coromandel!  in the Headlines wire, and Fitzsimons press release, Jeanette Fitzsimons wins Coromandel  . The arrival of the Greens will put the Labour Alliance coalition agreement to the test sooner than later, outgoing State Services Minister Simon Upton says. See... Simon Upton: The Arrival Of The Greens  . ACT say the cost of the Greens 'Christmas Bonus' for all beneficiaries has today been put at a staggering $250 million. See... Greens $250 Million Christmas Bonus Grossly Unfair  . All in the Parliament wire.
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL9912/S00033.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9912/S00028.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9912/S00030.htm
 - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA9912/S00031.htm
Specials May Deliver Greens Seventh MP
- The Greens are looking good to get their seventh MP into parliament as a result of the special party votes which are still being counted. Jonathan Hill writes. See... Greens Could Get Seventh MP on Specials  in the Headlines wire.
Peters and Parliament Still Hanging on Specials
- The Greens have made it with six MPs into parliament but the future of NZ First and party leader Winston Peters still hangs in the balance with special vote counting dragging on in Tauranga. A result is now expected at 4pm and Scoop will inform you immediately. Jonathan Hill reports. See... Parliament and Peters Still Hangs On The Specials  in the Headlines wire.
Deutsche Bank NZ Say Don’t Panic – Greens Not End Of World
- Deutsche Bank NZ summed up the Green success like this: “Don't panic - the Greens are not the end of the world! New Zealand's quirky electoral system has delivered the country another bizarre political twist. Following the counting of special votes the Greens have won the electorate of Coromandel. As a consequence, the party is allowed its full complement of seats in the House based on its proportion of the total vote.
ALCP Hail Greens' “Awesome Re-entry” - Libz Want Warning Labels
- Cannabis reform campaigners have congratulated the Greens on their “awesome re-entry” saying the special vote from cannabis country Coromandel has put "six grass root MP's" into the House of Representatives. See... "Nandor for Minister of Hemp", say Legalisers  in the Politics wire. The Libertarianz are not as easily pleased and want the new Green MPs to have warning labels. See... Warning Labels for Green MPs  also in the politics wire.
Seattle's Police Chief Quits After WTO Protests
- Seattle's police chief has quit, becoming the first political casualty of the violent protests that disrupted the WTO meeting last week. John Howard reports. See... Seattle's Police Chief Quits After WTO Protests  in the Headlines wire.
Oklahoma Teenage Shooter Used Dad's Gun, Bullets
- The Oklahoma teenager who opened fire on his classmates on Monday used a semi-automtic pistol and ammunition taken from his father’s wardrobe. Jonathan Hill writes. See... Oklahoma Teenage Shooter Used Dad's Gun, Bullets  in the Headlines wire.
Stocks Warning Sounded By Aussie Exchange Head
- The chairman of the Australian Stock Exchange is warning that narrow trade on soaring global markets is a sign they could ‘implode’ soon. John Howard reports. See... Stocks Warning Sounded By Aussie Exchange Head  in the Headlines wire.
Ambassador Beeman Moves On With Kiwi Daughter
- Tomorrow marks the changing of the guard at the United States Embassy as Ambassador Josiah Beeman, his wife Susan, and their 6 month-old New Zealand-born daughter Olivia, leave our shores. John Howard reports. See... Ambassador Beeman Moves On With Kiwi Daughter  in the Headlines wire.
Scoop Editorial: Massive War Crime Threatened In Grozny
- In the last four weeks of the 20st century, not to mention the millennium, the world is on the verge of experiencing the effects of a new generation of horrific weapons systems. See... Editorial: Massive War Crime Threatened In Grozny  in the Headlines wire.
Operation Nest Egg Adult Kiwi Killed By Ferret
- The first Operation Nest Egg-raised kiwi to be sitting on an egg has been killed by a ferret, the Department of Conservation announced. See... Operation Nest Egg Adult Kiwi Killed By Ferret  in the General wire.
HFA allocates rural GP subsidy
- The new rural ranking system for GPs is now in place, with the most isolated GPs receiving up to $27,000, and the average rural GP getting up to $10,000. See... HFA allocates rural GP subsidy  in the General wire.
Heartless Government Slashes Benefits - Young Nats
- Beneficiaries around the country are reeling today after the Labour/Alliance Government confirmed they will cut benefits by $20 a week before Christmas. See... Heartless Government Slashes Benefits  in the Politics wire.
Amnesty responds to the Patten Commission report on Northern Irish Policing
- Amnesty International last week submitted its response to the report of the Independent Commission on Policing for Northern Irelan. It welcomed a large number of the specific proposals but expressing concern about omissions and flaws… See... Amnesty responds to the Patten Commission report  in the General wire.
Reflections On The 1999 General Election
- The 1999 General Election was a return to normalcy, rather than a radical change, Peter Dunne, United New Zealand leader and MP for Ohariu-Belmont, told Tawa Rotary club this evening. See... Reflections On The 1999 General Election  in the Parliament wire.