TV1 6pm News Headlines (First Segment)
Samuels Hits Back On Allegations - Reaction To Claims - Carol Stigley Row - Glen Innes Driveby - Cop Shoots Cop - Kylie Jones’s Killer
SAMUELS HITS BACK ON ALLEGATIONS: Dover Samuels has vowed to expose those who made allegations of rape against him, after police cleared him of rape charges. Dover Samuels lawyer says police are now looking into the possibility Samuels was blackmailed over the information. Meanwhile, they continue to investigate a charge Mr Samuels had sex with a teenager while he was her legal guardian.
- REACTION TO CLAIMS: With Samuels partially in the clear, the pressure has now gone on ACT leader Richard Prebble who originally made the allegations public when he forwarded a letter containing the claims to the Prime Minister’s office. Mr Prebble has refused to make any comment until the police conclude their investigation into Mr Samuels. Helen Clark has also stood by her decision to sack Mr. Samuels.
- CAROL STIGLEY ROW: The President of Local Government New Zealand has spoken out about the Carol Stigley row. Initially she had denied reports Ms Stigley was paid any money in a deal to resign as the body’s chief executive, now the President admits Ms Stigley received over $120,000.
- GLEN INNES DRIVEBY: Police are investigating a Glen Innes suburb where a man was killed in a drive-by-shooting, which is thought to be gang related.
- COP SHOOTS COP: Auckland police are also investigating an serious injury on a constable while a policeman was shot when two officers were practicing using fire-arms at 4am on Monday morning.
- KYLIE JONES’S KILLER: It has been revealed the killer of Journalist Kylie Jones was a convicted sex offender who was only on parole for two weeks before he committed Kylie’s murder.