Firefighters’ Contract Row – Government Funded
Vasectomies – Urewera Controversy – Lucky Duck
- FIREFIGHTERS CONTRACT ROW: The Government has intervened in the six-year-old firefighters’ contract row, effectively telling the Fire Service Commission to settle the dispute in the union's favour.
- GOVERNMENT FUNDED VASECTOMIES: The Work and Income Department paid out more for vasectomies than it did for school uniforms, clothing and furniture, new figures show.
- UREWERA CONTROVERSY: Prime Minister Helen Clark has poured cold water on Conservation Minister Sandra Lee’s plans to set up exclusive Maori camping grounds in the Urewera National Park. She said it was hard to see a reason to support the plan, which is the latest in a rash of race-related embarrassments for the Government.
- LUCKY DUCK: A duck, rescued from an oil spill in Wainuiomata, is safe in the hands of an 11-year-old girl and her mother.
Inside Political Headlines:
- Horomia and Turia face fresh claims of bullying;
- Cullen looks for value in state sector spending;
- King puts blame on loan debts;
- Burton to unveil $1b military spending plans;
- Executive should heed vote on trade deal, says Anderton.
Editorial: Don’t shoot the