Defence Rifts – Car Smash – School Power – Polytech Race Relations
DEFENCE RIFTS: Serious rifts in the Defence Force have emerged in a damning Audit Office report on the $670 million purchase of new light armoured vehicles for the army.
CAR SMASH: A 50-year-old man was killed yesterday when his car was dragged under a truck and exploded, police said.
SCHOOL POWER: Wellington High School’s 900 students may be sent home to do their school work because the school cannot afford to pay up to $30,000 a month for its power.
POLYTECH RACE RELATIONS: Gisborne’s Tairawhiti Polytechnic is to overhaul its social services programme after a review panel reported yesterday that its confrontational teaching method has “the potential to create a schism” between Maori and non-Maori students.
- LAVIII critics demand heads;
- Goff cool on lowering drink-drive limits;
- Hide wants conciliator to apologise;
- State power firms deny profiteering;
- Goff calls for Mugabe to be reprimanded over violence;
- Higher tax raised more cash than forecast.
Editorial: It’s enough to drive you