CHILD NEGLECT: The Dominion leads today with a report that a baby was found at a teenage party while her parents were nightclubbing at the weekend, and police have reported finding two young children huddled by a candle in a house with no food or power.
CARTERTON SMASH: The front-page photo shows a Carterton policeman with the remains of a Holden Commodore car in which three teenagers were killed at the weekend.
Also on the front page:
- LEGAL AID: a report that legal aid decisions are being taken away form lawyers and court registras after a costs blow-out and disquiet about the amounts earned by some lawyers;
- MILLENNIUM FEAR: a report that some NZers, fearing the millennium meltdown, are stockpiling big amounts of cash and petrol at their homes the Insurance Council saysl
- CLIMATE: a report that above normal temperatures have been recorded for the 12th consecutive month with record or near-record highs in Wellington, Horowhenua and the Chatham Islands during July;
- ROBBERY: a report that a Lower Hutt metal dealer has a suspected broken jaw and numerous facial fractures after a vicious robbery yesterday.
- MUCKRAKING: a report that politicians are under fire from the speaker for wanton muckraking;
- GENETIC FOOD: a report that Ministers may do a U-turn on gene-food labeling;
- WINZ: a report quoting WINZ minister Peter
McCardle saying that Winz is