INDIAN ORPHANAGE SEX CHARGES: The Evening Post leads tonight with a report that a 60-year-old Upper Hutt man is facing extradition on chaharges that he ran a child-sex ring in an Indian orphanage. Eoghan McBride, 60, was arrested last week and appeared in Wellington District Court on Friday. He is presently in jail.
TRANSMISSION GULLY: The front-page photo shows Tony Moynihan signing a Transmission Gully petition. Transport Minister Maurice Williamson is reported saying that the petition will make no difference to Transit's decisions on funding.
Also on the front page:
- MIKHAIL LERMONTOV: a report that a "seriously dysfunctional" harbour board unable to ask for help probably led to the sinking of the Russian cruise liner Mikhail Lermontov in 1986, a book released today says;
- NURSE ATTACKED: a report that a nurse had to run for her life when a violent patient with two broken ankles attacked her with a chair;
- TRIPLE MURDER: a report that three bodies have been found in a house in Manukau, South Auckland;
- HERALD POLL: a report that Labour and the Alliance hold a 14-seat majority over a National-ACT coalition three months out from the general election, a poll released today shows;
- FURBYS BANNED: a report that Furby toys have been ordered off Air New Zealand flights - unless they have their batteries removed;
- MAYORAL WEDDING: a report that Wellington Mayor Mark Blumsky turned celebrant at the weekend to marry Deputy Mayor Kerry Prendergast and former city councillor Rex Nicholls.
- POLICE BUNGLES: a report that recent police bungles are due to an exodus of experienced officers, the police associations says;
- KAPAHAKA ROW: a report that the PM is backing Tau Henare over a letter he wrote supporting an application for funding for a kapa haka group to visit China;
- MARTIN BEATTIE: a report that the Northland judge acquitted of fiddling his expenses abandoned his attempt to recover his defence costs because of the publicity it attracted;
- FISHERIES COMMISSION: a report that Sir Tipene O'Regan will stand as a candidate for the new Fisheries Commission if nominated;
- WELLINGTON CENTRAL: a report that Prebble's electorate supporters are heating up the race for Wellington Central.
IRRADIATION: The editorial discusses the decision to allow irradiated food into NZ.