BUDGET SUMMARY – Investing in people
Investing in people
- $30 million over four years for an early childhood education equity funding initiatives and $18 million to improve adult literacy.
- $27.4 million over four years to develop school principals' leadership and skills. A variety of other initiatives to improve teacher quality and school administration.
- Increase in school operation funding.
- $330 million increase in Vote: Health.
- $84 million a year built into permanent baselines to maintain gains in reducing waiting times for elective services and an additional $7.4 million above the $50 million increase in last year's budget for mental health.
- $3.9 million to improve the cervical screening programme.
- $184.4 million over the next four years for the Department of Child, Youth and Family Services to implement Mick Brown's report: Care and Protection is about Adult Behaviour.
- A $44.7 million package to assist beneficiaries make the transition from welfare to work.
- $31.1 million to support "for community, by community" programmes.
- Funding to build 125 new community houses and to extend rent relief to cash-strapped community housing tenants.
- Commitment to build an additional 300 new state houses this year and to upgrade further 9000.
- More money into the rural home loans scheme.
- Overview from Maori Affairs Minister Parekura Horomia on policies to strengthen Maori communities and advance Maori economically.
- $10 million a year for Maori television.
- $15 million over three years to directly resource local Maori initiatives.
- $500,000 increase to the Pacific Business Trust.
- $2.8 million for Pacific health providers [contained in the health statements.]
- $100 million over the next five years to implement the recommendations of the Sport, Fitness and Leisure review.
- Funding package to support regional museums and galleries
- Near doubling of the budget for refugee resettlement services.
- Additional money to support the new Mediation Service.
- Improvements to electoral services, and to speed up vote counting on election night.