NZers Languishing On Waiting Lists Go Private
10,464 NZers Languishing On Waiting Lists Go Private
Wednesday 24 Nov 2004
Heather Roy - Press Releases - Health
ACT New Zealand Health Spokesman Heather Roy today released new information that shows the number of New Zealanders requiring an operation who gave up waiting and went private has skyrocketed by 182 percent in three years.
"Information reluctantly supplied by Health Minister Annette King reveals that 3,627 patients went private in the 12 months to August 31 this year, compared to 3,523 in the previous year, 2,031 in 2002 and 1,283 in 2001," Mrs Roy said.
"In total, 10,464 New Zealanders have chosen to pay twice and go private, rather than languish a second longer on Helen Clark's waiting lists. This astonishing figure highlights Annette King's atrocious handling of hospital waiting lists.
"Labour's failure to address the waiting lists problem was further exposed last week when I embarrassed Ms King with the revelation that, under her control, nearly 4,000 people had died while waiting for surgery.
"New Zealanders are sick and tired of seeing millions of their dollars being poured into the health system with no positive result. It's long overdue for Ms King to start delivering as health minister - or she should resign," Mrs Roy said.