National admit real health policy kept secret
16 September 2005
National admit real health policy being kept secret
Don Brash must immediately release National's detailed health policy that Paul Hutchinson has admitted the party is keeping secret says Cabinet Minister Pete Hodgson.
"We go to the polls tomorrow and now National's health spokesperson Paul Hutchinson has divulged that the party is deliberately keeping the full details of its health policy secret," said Pete Hodgson.
Hutchinson admitted the strategy of deliberate deception in an email to the GiveLife organisation in which he said:
" The strategy team has preferred we do not publish a detailed policy."
"Don Brash appeared on television many times saying that the detail of National's health policy had not been worked out. Hutchinson's revelation puts a lie to Brash's claims. National's strategy team knows exactly where the cuts will be made and they have deliberately chosen to keep these from the public.
"Don Brash must front up right now.
is National's real spending track for health?
- Just what services and staff will be cut in order to "reprioritise" services?
- How many tens of thousands of Kiwi families will have their entitlement to cheaper doctors visits and prescriptions cut?
- What are its plans for users pays in hospitals?
- Just how much of the health system will be privatised?
- What plans are there for sacking support staff?
- What plans are there for wage freezes in the sector?
- What plans are there for recruitment freezes?
"Brash confused and deliberately misled the public for days over his many meetings with the Exclusive Brethren before admitting he knew all along about what there were up to. Now we learn from National's own health spokesperson the detail of the party's policy is being deliberately kept secret.
"We know you know the detail, why won't you tell the truth?"
No Acknowledgement to my letter: However in a phone call to Paul Hutchison (National Party Health Spokesman)
He confirmed that National would "match anything that Labour does."
I received the following email from him today (15 Sept)
Thank you Andy. The strategy team has preferred we do not publish a detailed policy. You have my assurance of support for an organ register. Regards Paul