Government confirms 2007/08 ACC levies
Government confirms 2007/08 ACC
ACC levies for 2007/08 represent good news on average for the self-employed, no change on average for employers and wage and salary earners, and some increases for motorists, ACC Minister Ruth Dyson said today.
Ms Dyson said the government had adopted the levy rates recommended by ACC following public consultation. The rates have also been reviewed by the Department of Labour.
· The average composite employer levy will remain the same at $1.21 per $100 of earnings.
· The average composite self-employed levy will decrease from $3.54 to $3.36 for every $100 of earnings.
· The earner (or non-work) levy will remain the same at $1.16 for every $100 of earnings.
· The average composite motor vehicle levy will increase from $190.00 to $204.78, because the average cost per claim has gone up, however the rate remains below the 2004 levy of $206.93.
· All levies exclude GST.
· The levies are average rates. Individual rates for industry groups may increase or decrease based on recent experience.
"ACC is committed to ensuring that levies remain as stable as possible to give greater certainty to businesses about what their levies will be in future and that predictability is important," said Ruth Dyson.
Ms Dyson reminded employers and self-employed of the Labour-led government's goal of having a merged work account, which, if passed, will result in revised levies for these two groups.
"The proposed law change will allow a greater focus on reducing the risk of injury based on industry and occupational type rather than on business structure, and encourage industries to better co-ordinate health and safety across their workplaces."
The merger will not affect the earner (or non-work) levy or the motor vehicle levy.
The new rates will be implemented through regulations to be promulgated early next year. New levies will take effect from 1 April 2007, with the exception of the motor vehicle account which takes effect from 1 July 2007.
Table comparing the 2006/07 and 2007/08 ACC levy rates.