Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Dyson Gets Good Advice


Friday 9 November 2007

Dyson Gets Good Advice

"The figures I used in the House were correct," said Ruth Dyson, Minister for Social Development and Employment.

"I was responding to a question relating to the Household Labour Force Survey and the Official Unemployment Rate. Therefore it was appropriate for the Ministry of Social Development to provide me with Household Labour Force Survey (HLFS) information to define the working age population, which is classified as New Zealanders aged 15 years and over."

HLFS Working age population - September quarter 3,262,000 (15 years plus) Invalids beneficiaries as at October: 78,766, or 2.4% Sickness beneficiaries as at October:47,717 or 1.5% total: 3.9%

"The figures quoted by Judith Collins and repeated by Lindsay Mitchell appear to come from the Ministry's September benefit fact-sheets, which uses Statistics New Zealand, final population resident population estimates for people aged 18–64 years, as of 31 March 2007. This provides an estimate of the population of New Zealand, aged 18 to 64 of 2.6 million people - hence the difference."

Benefit fact-sheets are a Ministry of Social Development publication, and do not relate to the HLFS survey.

See also:

  • Dyson Off To A Bad Start
  • ENDS

    © Scoop Media

     
     
     
    Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


    Gordon Campbell: On How The US Supreme Court Is Undermining American Democracy

    If Joe Biden is elected President next week, here comes the bad news. If Biden tries to defend Obamacare, combat climate change (via say, a variant of the Green New Deal) or tries to improve the access of US women to abortion services , he will run afoul of a Supreme Court dominated by judges likely to rule that such matters must be left to the states like Missouri and Alabama to manage as they see fit. Meaning: Even if Biden had a radical agenda, this would be unlikely to survive the current bench on the Supreme Court... More>>

     

    Gordon Campbell: On National Being Shafted By Its Own Creation

    As it licks its wounds, let’s hope the National Party can still find time to look back with some pride at what it has achieved in Epsom. The Act Party’s nationwide success on Saturday night has been a tribute to National’s foresight, and to its ... More>>

    ALSO:

    Green Party: 'Fruitful Discussions ... Further Discussions To Have'

    The Green Party says there is a negotiation going on with the Labour Party, but there are more discussions to be had. More>>

    ALSO:


    Border: No Changes To Border Exemptions After Fishing Crew Test Covid-19 Positive

    The cases were detected after routine day three testing but the immigration minister and air commodore agree there's no need to change border exemptions. More>>

    PSA: Labour-Led Government Has Mandate For Transformation, Equality And Transparency

    The Public Service Association welcomes the progressive electoral landslide New Zealand voters delivered on Saturday, and the union says its members look forward to implementing policies that reduce poverty and inequality, support affordable housing ... More>>

    ALSO:


    Election: ParityBOT_NZ Processed Nearly 200,000 Tweets To Find And Fight Online Abuse Over The NZ Election

    Auckland, New Zealand: Of the almost 200,000 tweets directed at women candidates that Areto Labs’ proprietary election Twitter bot, ParityBOT_NZ, processed over the New Zealand election period, nearly 4,000 were classified as toxic and triggered ... More>>

    Stats NZ: New Report Shows Significant Changes To New Zealand’s Climate

    Climate change is already happening in New Zealand and could have a profound impact on future generations of New Zealanders, a new report from the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ says. Our atmosphere and climate 2020 , released today, includes analysis ... More>>

    ALSO:

    Judith Collins: Obese People Must Take Responsibility For 'personal Choices'

    National Party leader Judith Collins has described obesity as a weakness and says people should not 'blame systems for personal choices'. More>>

    Māori Party: Poll Reveals Tamihere On Cusp Of Historic Māori Movement Election Victory

    John Tamihere’s election campaign is on the rise and on track to return the Māori Party to parliament, a new Māori TV poll has revealed. The poll released on 11 October during the seventh and final Māori TV Maori Electoral campaign coverage has Tamihere ... More>>


     
     
     
     
     
     

    LATEST HEADLINES

    • PARLIAMENT
    • POLITICS
    • REGIONAL
     
     

    InfoPages News Channels