Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Key’s so-called standards smashed by Banks

Grant
ROBERTSON
Deputy Leader

13 September 2012 MEDIA STATEMENT
Key’s so-called standards smashed by Banks

John Key has no option but to sack John Banks after witnesses confirmed in sworn statements that he knew exactly who made donations to his Mayoralty campaign but said he wanted them to be ‘anonymous’, says Labour’s Deputy Leader Grant Robertson.

“John Key claims he has set the highest ethical standards for his Ministers. John Banks has absolutely breached those standards yet the Prime Minister continues to defend him to the hilt.

““It is not credible for John Key to keep this man on as a Minister. New Zealanders deserve better from their elected representatives.

“Sworn statements from witnesses, including Kim Dotcom, his security guard and lawyer, show that John Banks personally solicited donations. He then asked for those donations to be made anonymously which shows intent to hide them.

“A few months later, he suddenly loses his memory about all of those conversations. That is just unbelievable. Everyone in New Zealand knows what went on here. But John Key is continuing to turn a blind eye.

“He cannot continue to ignore the facts.

“In a sworn statement, Kim Dotcom says John Banks ‘said to me that it would be better to split it into two cheques for $25,000. I asked him why. He told me it was because then he would not have to declare where it came from.

“Kim Dotcom also says John Banks told him: ‘I want to help you, Kim, and I can help you more effectively if no one knows about this donation.

“It is crystal clear what went on here. And it’s time for John Key and John Banks to stop covering it up,” said Grant Robertson.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The America’s Cup, Critical Race Theory And A New, Weekly Music Playlist

So… Why don’t they just cut to the chase, and call it the Emirates Cup? As this column predicted several months ago, the next America’s Cup challenge is headed overseas. Here’s what Werewolf said back in March:
Emirates has made a major commitment to Portsmouth/Isle of Wight as a sailing centre of excellence – and voila, that’s where the next challenger of record is coming from, and where the next Cup contest could well be sailed. Such incredible luck for Emirates, right..? More>>

 



Marine: Wider Roll-out Of Cameras On Boats To Support Sustainability And Protect Marine Life

Up to 300 inshore commercial fishing vessels will be fitted with on-board cameras by 2024 as part of the Government’s commitment to protect the natural marine environment for future generations... More>>

ALSO:


Government: Plan For Vaccine Rollout For General Population Announced

New Zealanders over 60 will be offered a vaccination from July 28 and those over 55 from August 11, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced today... More>>

ALSO:



Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels