Applications open for Pacific Youth Awards
1 August 2013
Applications open for the 2013 Prime Minister’s Pacific Youth Awards
Applications for the 2013 Prime Minister's Pacific Youth Awards open today giving young Pacific people the opportunity to have their talent and leadership potential recognised.
The programme, now in its fourth year, highlights the achievements and potential of future Pacific leaders.
“Our Government is committed to improving outcomes for young Pacific people and this initiative is designed to recognise excellence and further promote young Pacific talent so they can reach their full potential,’’ says Pacific Island Affairs Minister Hekia Parata.
“Successful young Pacific people are not only a credit to their families and communities, but crucial to New Zealand’s success.”
The five award categories include:
• The University of Auckland Leadership Award worth up to $6,000 per annum in tuition fees at the University of Auckland.
• The Weta Workshop Creativity Award for a paid internship of up to one year at Weta Workshop in Wellington.
• The Air New Zealand Innovation Award offers a place on Air New Zealand’s Aviation Institute’s for a first year pre-employment aircraft maintenance training programme to the value up to $7,400.
• The Cogita Software Inspiration Award offers placement for an inspiring educational overseas trip worth up to $5,000.
• The Vodafone NZ Foundation’s Mobiles4Good Award of $5,000 for using mobile technology for a community initiative.
“I know there is a growing number of talented and fabulous young Pasifika people out there and I encourage them to apply for one of these awards,’’ says Ms Parata.
“Last year we received over 100 applications so I’m hoping for even more applicants this year.”
Applications close on September 1, 2013 and are available at www.pacificyouthawards.org.nz