Peters - General Debate Speech: Fiji & SIS
Rt Hon Winston Peters
New Zealand First
4 September 2013
4 September 2013
We have a most serious situation on our hands.
Once more a top security agency has acted illegally and it’s time for the Prime Minister and Foreign Minister to front up.
In July last year the Fijian military dictatorship contacted the New Zealand Government regarding the Freedom and Democracy Movement.
Some kind of deal was struck.
The Security and Intelligence Service and police raided a house where a former Fiji cabinet minister Rajesh Singh was living.
The SIS officer refused to produce a search warrant.
They took a computer and a cellphone.
By some strange coincidence that only the Prime Minister can explain – a Fijian military officer sent a text to the former cabinet minister that showed he knew the SIS raid was taking place.
In short the Fiji military knew the SIS was raiding an Auckland property.
There were other texts a couple of days later.
Some are chilling.
[The following is an exact reproduction of the texts]
1. Hmmmm..yeah all over Fiji news…Fiji One…your name and picture came up….we telling Fiji One did they get facts tight according to media decree…cause u can sue them…
2. Yeah don’t know why Fiji tarnish ur name. Don’t worry we defend you.
3. Yes, media have branded u as terrorist. There is word you could be deported.
4. Fiji-NZ Talks-Foreign Affairs Minister Rātū Inoke Kubuabola has met in suva with his New Zealand counterpart Murray McCully to discuss rebuilding diplomatic relations between the countries. NZ, Fiji hold positive talks- Fiji and New Zealand have held talks to rebuild diplomatic relations.
5. Bro you not worth a bullet cause u don’t deserve it. In your own opinion, international politics is a double edged sword. That is politics and u have to be aware of it. Fiji has learnt from it and will continue to engage any country at our terms whether NZ aust US Chin, and not dictated. We will unite as Fijians to build this nations. Feel sorry for you bro but about time you think of strategy to save u and ur family. Mesese tikoitonga
6. Ok. Ur call. Reality 97 constitution has been abrogated. I take it than. U prefer to fight your battles in NZ. Without further ado, I understand our conversations here ends. My continuous contact will cease forthwith given your current status. I will contact you once u cleared.
7. U talk of law, why hasn’t US Presidents taken to court for collateral deaths in Iraq, afghan, come one u should be better than that. We are at voters registration stage…
8. Don’t worry about us…u becoming a thorn in NZ govt…lol
9. Reality check bro…u the culprit now…NZ FA min met ours in suva last week…hmm
10. Nots about gate now. Its about you…and rklui..
11. Are u NZ citizen or on PR
12. Bro, terrorist? We did raid you, it was NZ ss..so ask them..
13. Terrorist…in NZ
14. Hahahaha Ghai is an independent body…we respect his views…YOU my friend..insignificant…your lack of insight is your downfall…alice was right about you …hehehehehe..”NZ SIS raid Rajesh Singh house for plotting to assinate Fiji PM”. Well you will be deported soon for being threat to NZ govt
15. That’s is a process of restoration of democracy..nz is funding…so any unnecessary comments from you in NZ will be treated as impeding this process….so NZ will informed…hehehe…pliz don’t disturb my mtg with my NZ counterpart
16. I don’t talk to terrorist…as branded by nz govt….
They leave no doubt that the Fiji dictatorship knew what was happening.
And the Fiji military had contacts in high places in New Zealand.
How far was the SIS involved?
How far was the GCSB involved?
Why did the Government refuse to go to court over this when a participant took legal action?
Why did the Inspector General throw out Mr Singh’s complaint?
He talked to the police – what happened?
Only the Ombudsman showed any sympathy.
But nothing has happened against the agencies or the ministers involved.
This raises even more questions – it’s time for some answers.