Unions Oppose War On Ira
The Council of Trade Unions National Affiliates Council, representing more than 300,000 union members, has resolved to actively oppose war on Iraq, CTU president Ross Wilson announced today.
In a resolution the CTU National Affiliates Council has:
· Deplored the
cynical linkage by the US government of support for the war
with free trade negotiations with the US ;
· Condemned any pressure that is or may be brought to bear on NZ to drop its nuclear free policy in exchange for free trade negotiations with the US;
· Called on the NZ government to support strengthening and implementation of existing treaties and conventions for the elimination of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons;
· Called on the NZ government to actively work towards mandated international inspection of all countries developing and producing weapons of mass destruction.
· Called for every effort to be made for a long term peaceful resolution of the current situation
And has called on unions to;
· Support and
participate in any rallies and community activities against
· Work to increase understanding of the current international situation amongst their members.