Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search


Child Support Debt Recovery

Thursday, 18 November 2004

The Government not Children will be the big beneficiary of Child Support Debt Recovery.

"The Labour Government, via the consolidated fund, will be the big beneficiary of the changes David Cunliffe, Minister responsible for Child Support, is proposing to the Child Support Act 1991. Child Support Tax is all about revenue collection, not supporting children. Once again children will be the losers as Labour continues to tinker with a fundamentally flawed Child Support Regime." Commented Jim Nicolle, spokesperson for the New Zealand Child Support Reform Network.

"The level of "debt" is continually misrepresented by Mr. Cunliffe. About 57% ($494 Million) of this so-called debt are penalties that children will never see, but will provide a huge boost to the consolidated fund. Of the other 43% ($379 Million) the bulk of that will end up in the consolidated fund under the guise of benefit recovery" Observed Nicolle.

"The high level of debt is an indicator of a fundamentally flawed Child Support regime. Parents want to support their children but are stopped from doing so by a Child Support Tax that is a cash cow for the government at our kids expense." Nicolle stated.

"David Cunliffe is advocating a "sticks and carrots" approach that is more suitable to dealing with donkeys than parents and children. There is a rapidly growing dissatisfaction and frustration among parents with the anti father and child ideology that underpins New Zealand Family Law, reducing dads from real parents of their children to "cash and contact" parents. Real reform of Child Support Law, creating a fair and reasonable Child Support System, is required now." Concluded Nicolle


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Roe v Wade Aftermath

Now that the right of US women to abortion (formerly protected by Roe v Wade) has been abolished, the important role of medication-induced abortion will come even more to the fore. Already, research by the Guttmacher Institute reproductive rights centre shows that over half of US abortions are obtained by medication. According to the US Food and Drug Administration and the World Health Organisation, the abortion pills can be safely self-administered at home within the first ten weeks of pregnancy, rather than via a surgical procedure carried out in a bricks-and-mortar abortion clinic...


Winston Peters: Issues Judicial Review Proceedings

Winston Peters has issued judicial review proceedings against Speaker of the House the Rt Honourable Trevor Mallard, challenging Mr Mallard’s issue of a trespass warning against Mr Peters on 28 April 2022, which the Speaker then withdrew on 4 May 2022... More>>

Government: Electoral Changes Will Bring Greater Transparency For Voters

Changes to electoral law announced by Justice Minister Kiri Allan today aim to support participation in parliamentary elections, and improve public trust and confidence in New Zealand’s electoral system... More>>

Parliament: Grounds Fully Reopened

Parliament’s grounds have been fully reopened today at a ceremony and community event with mana whenua, members of the public, and representatives of Parliament... More>>

NZ Republic: Charles CHOGM Speech Green Light For Change
“Prince Charles had made it clear in his speech to the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Rwanda today that even the Royal family think it’s time for change” said Lewis Holden, campaign chair of New Zealand Republic... More>>

National: Goodfellow To Retire As Party President
Peter Goodfellow today announced he will not seek re-election as President of the National Party at its Annual Conference. Mr Goodfellow will remain as a director on the board for one final term to assist in the transition... More>>

Police: Parliament Occupation Investigators Seek Public Assistance
Police investigating criminal activity on the final day of the occupation at Parliament grounds earlier this year are appealing for the public’s help to identify 15 people... More>>




InfoPages News Channels