Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

More industrial action at Southland Times

October 16, 2006


Media Release

More industrial action at Southland Times


Wage talks between the Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union and the Fairfax-owned Southland Times have again broken down with union members employed by the company resuming industrial action last Thursday.

Staff at the paper had been working to rule and taking lightening strikes since early July but put that action on hold last month while further talks were held.

EPMU National Secretary Andrew Little says the fact industrial action has gone on so long is a sign of wider industry difficulties.

“Workers in the newspaper industry took a big hit under the Employment Contracts Act with many of them losing their collective agreements altogether, and now with the industry dominated by two major Australian players even small gains have to be fought for.”

Southland Times staff have been particularly badly affected. They have some of the worst pay rates and conditions in the industry – a situation the recent talks failed to remedy.

Little says Fairfax should think about where its profit comes from. “The Southland Times makes it money out of the community’s news, the community’s readers and the community’s advertisers. To then refuse to return some of that money back into Southland’s community in the form of fair wages smacks of greed and arrogance.”

Senior EPMU Delegate and Southland Times Journalist David Cosgriff says renewed industrial action will again reduce the quality and content on the paper, but staff have no other way to get their point across.

“We continue to be bitterly disappointed at the company's attitude to these negotiations. Staff feel insulted and under-valued.

“This is a company that produces one of the country's best performing newspapers, a company that this year alone has increased its advertising rates and its cover prices by about 12 percent, yet begrudges even giving its staff a wage increase that keeps up with inflation.”

Fairfax paid $700 million for internet auction site Trade Me earlier this year after announcing a 23 percent increase in its annual profits.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Budget 2022


At base, the political biffo back and forth on the merits of Budget 2022 comes down to only one thing. Who is the better manager of the economy and better steward of social wellbeing – National or Labour? In its own quiet way, the Treasury has buried a fascinating answer to the “who’s best at running an economy during a crisis?” question, at page 57 of the Fiscal Strategy section...
More>>



 
 

Government: Helps Supermarket Shoppers Get A Fair Deal
Urgent Budget night legislation to stop major supermarkets blocking competitors from accessing land for new stores has been introduced today, Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Dr David Clark said... More>>


Budget 2022: A Secure Future In Difficult Times
Budget 2022 will help build a high wage, low emissions economy that provides greater economic security, while providing support to households affected by cost of living pressures... More>>

ALSO:

Budget: Climate Investments Provide Path To Economic Security
The Government is investing in New Zealand’s economic security by ensuring climate change funding moves away from short-term piecemeal responses and towards smart, long-term investment... More>>

ALSO:



National: Jacqui Dean To Retire From Parliament In 2023

Waitaki MP Jacqui Dean has announced that she will not be seeking re-election at the 2023 election. “I have advised the President and Leader of the National Party that I have decided not to put my name forward... More>>

Classification Office: Following Decision To Ban Manifesto The Buffalo Mass Shooting Livestream Is Now Banned
The livestream video of yesterday’s mass shooting in the United States has now been banned, Acting Chief Censor Rupert Ablett-Hampson announced this morning. The decision follows on from his decision yesterday to call in and ban the ‘manifesto... More>>

Borders: New Zealand Poised To Welcome International Students Back
New Zealand is fully reopening to international students and the Government is committed to help reinvigorate and strengthen the sector, Education Minister Chris Hipkins said today... More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels