New Developments in Auckland Bus Dispute
National Distribution Union Media Release 6 November 2009
The current standoff in the Auckland bus dispute has been broken with members of the National Distribution Union voting to withdraw from the combined unions and to approach NZBus to sign up to an agreement based on the offer that was agreed to between the company and the combined union negotiating team last Friday 30 October.
“The final offer of NZBus does not resolve the inherent low pay in the industry. It does not resolve the undervaluing that NZBus workers feel. However last Friday, the combined union negotiators believed that they had obtained the best possible offer from the company and agreed to recommend it back to union members,” says Karl Andersen.
“Unfortunately, the largest union of the combined unions broke ranks and urged rejection rather than ratification of the proposed agreement.
“This resulted in a chaotic meeting on Wednesday at which the ratification of the agreement was rejected,” he says.
“Our members want to have access to the agreement that has been reached in negotiation.
“We are aware that similar discussions are being held in two of the other three unions,”
“We are happy to work with those unions who want to resolve the pay issue based on the agreements reached between the unions and the company last week,” Karl Andersen says.
has notified the other parties of the combined unions of its
members’ decision. It has also informed NZBus of its
desire to open discussions at the earliest