Study on the structure of Local Government in Hawke's Bay
Collective Study on the structure of Local Government in Hawke's Bay
Recently I presented a request to your Council asking for a collective study to be done on the structure of local government in the region, and whether changes to that structure might contribute to lifting the region’s socio-economic performance. The same presentation was given to every council in the region. The presentations were given on the basis of my genuine concern for where the region finds itself around a number of indicators, and a lack of an effective structure for coordinated regional action to address our current performance.
I write today to get a more formal understanding of your Council’s position on this request. I am aware that Hastings District Council and Hawke’s Bay Regional Council have made some budget provision to fund a study. However, it is my hope that all the region’s councils could participate in a report that would cover the following:
• Review of the historical demographic,
socio-economic and environmental performance and trends for
• Review of the projected demographic, socio-economic and environmental performance for Hawke’s Bay
• Review of the projected and possible changes in government policy settings
• Review the performance and effectiveness of the current councils, including financial sustainability, options for increased efficiency and effectiveness, environmental protection and economic development •
• Identify options for improving the region’s response to current and projected future socio-economic performance, including recommendations as to whether changes are required to the local government structure in Hawke’s Bay to maximize the region’s future potential
I consider that this is an issue that requires significant unbiased and independent scrutiny. To try and address it via internal officer reports or reports from others with a vested interest would, in my view, be a significant disservice to the community and its future generations. I seek your support to undertake an independent study. Previous studies and current individual council thinking would form part of the review.
I envisage the Terms of Reference, choice of consultant, budget provision and timeframes would be jointly agreed by our Chief Executives.
I would be grateful if your council could advise me of its position at your earliest convenience.
Thank you in advance for your response.