Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Government's $25M Boast Insults Kiwifruit Gwowers

Government's $25M Boast Insults Kiwifruit Gwowers

The government’s boast in parliament yesterday that it has provided $25 million in compensation for the 2010 Psa-v outbreak is an insult to kiwifruit growers and others who lost at least $885 million as a result of the preventable incursion, The Kiwifruit Claim said today.

This week marks one month to go before the High Court-imposed deadline of 9 October for kiwifruit growers and post-harvest operators to join The Kiwifruit Claim’s class action against the government to recover damages caused by the outbreak.

Yesterday in Parliament, Bay of Plenty MP Todd Muller asked Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy a patsy question about the state of the industry, prompting Mr Guy to claim credit for its recent recovery.

“If Mr Guy wants to claim credit for the recovery, it would be nice if he would also admit - as we believe we are able to prove - that the negligence of his biosecurity officials in allowing infected anthers to be imported into New Zealand from China in June 2009 caused the Psa-v crisis in the first place,” Matthew Hooton, a spokesman for the Kiwifruit Claim said today. “This happened at a time of heightened concern about Psa-v as a result of the Italian crisis, when officials should have been exercising extra care.

“Earlier this week University of Auckland law professor Bill Hodge commented that he believes the claim is able to show the direct causal nexus between that negligence and growers’ losses and that may be the smoking gun that will lead to a successful outcome.

“This is not new information and was clearly outlined on television as far back as 2012 by Benedict Collins at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8JSzSsGM_8. It would be good if Mr Guy took five minutes out of his day to become properly informed on the issue by viewing Mr Collins’ investigative report.”

Mr Hooton said kiwifruit growers, post-harvest operators and Zespri had done a good job recovering from the 2010 crisis which destroyed the nation’s gold (Hort16A) kiwifruit crop, requiring it to be replaced with another variety (G3), but says that does not mean they do not deserve proper compensation for the horrendous losses they experienced in the meantime as a result of the Crown’s negligence.

“According to the government’s own independent report by Sapere, total losses associated with the government’s negligence in letting Psa-v into New Zealand were at least $885 million. Boasting of a $25 million compensation package is an insult and just because all this was now five years ago is no reason the Crown should not be held responsible and pay compensation if the courts accept our evidence of negligence.”

Growers and post-harvest operators affected by the outbreak can sign up to The Kiwifruit Claim at www.thekiwifruitclaim.org. They must pay a one-off payment of $500, $1000 or $1500 depending on orchard size. Regardless of outcome, growers will not be required to pay anything more than their one-off initial payment. Growers and post-harvest operators are strongly recommended to read the statement of claim and all relevant documents and to seek their own independent legal advice before signing up to the claim. All growers must sign up to the claim before 9 October to be eligible for any compensation.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Government: Traffic Light Levels Announced


The levels at which different parts of New Zealand will move forward into the COVID-19 Protection Framework this Friday have been announced. Northland, Auckland, Taupō and Rotorua Lakes Districts, Kawerau, Whakatane, Ōpōtiki Districts, Gisborne District, Wairoa District, Rangitikei, Whanganui and Ruapehu Districts will move in at Red... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Why An Attack On Iran Is Back On The Agenda


Reportedly, Christopher Luxon has the edge on Simon Bridges in National’s leadership contest although there is no firm evidence for that hunch. So, one hesitates about joining a media echo chamber that amplifies Luxon’s chances ahead of the 3pm caucus meeting today. You know how it goes: Luxon doesn’t quite have the numbers, so his people start talking to the media to make him seem like the smart bet. Or even perhaps: Luxon hasn't got the numbers, and his people start talking to the media to talk up his support so that he gets a nicer consolation prize... More>>




 
 


National: Christopher Luxon Elected Party Leader
Christopher Luxon has been elected Leader of the New Zealand National Party, alongside Nicola Willis as Deputy Leader. “It is a tremendous privilege to lead our great party, and I thank my colleagues for the confidence they have placed in me,” Mr Luxon says... More>>

Government: New Law Will Clear The Air For Tamariki In Vehicles
From today, it’s illegal to smoke or vape in most vehicles carrying children aged under 18 years old - whether the vehicle is moving or not. “Second-hand smoke poses an unacceptable risk to our tamariki and rangatahi,” Associate Minister of Health Dr Ayesha Verrall said... More>>



Government: Workplace Vaccination Requirements Extended To Cover Police And NZ Defence Force

Workplace Relations and Safety Minister Michael Wood announced today that workplace vaccination requirements will be extended to include the New Zealand Police and Defence Force in preparation for the transition to the new COVID-19 Protection Framework on 3 December 2021... More>>


Freedom Camping: Making Sure People Are Up To Play With Changes
People interested in finding out how the proposed improvements to freedom camping might affect them are being invited to an information-sharing webinar... More>>

AUT: Aucklanders Are Less Concerned With Covid
In reaction to commentary that Aucklanders are at breaking point after more than 100 days in lockdown and that compliance with the rules is under threat, AUT Emeritus Professor of Sociology Charles Crothers says... More>>

National: Launches First Step To World-class Tech Sector

Leader of the Opposition Judith Collins says technology will create exciting careers and higher paying jobs and has the potential to transform the New Zealand economy... More>>


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels