Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Solid Energy proposes to cease production at Huntly East

Solid Energy proposes to cease production at uneconomic Huntly East Mine

Solid Energy is proposing to permanently cease production at its Huntly East Mine in Waikato because the mine has no prospect of returning to profitability and is unsalable.

The proposal was outlined to staff members of the underground coal mine this morning. They have 10 days to provide feedback on the proposal. The company management will consider any feedback and make a final decision by Thursday, 22 October.

Today’s decision follows Solid Energy’s voluntary administration and the creditors’ vote last month to begin a programme to sell assets over the next two-and-a-half years pursuant to a Deed of Company Administration. Part of that process is to determine if any assets are un-saleable.

Chief Executive, Dan Clifford, says the mine has been struggling financially for some time and its loss-making position has deteriorated further recently.

“In September 2013, Solid Energy undertook a major restructuring at Huntly East Mine. The company said it would keep the mine going in a small way, at least-cost, because at that time the view of industry analysts was that the market would start recovering in a year or two.

“In fact the situation has continued to deteriorate and Huntly East Mine is now deeply unprofitable, costing in the order of $500,000 a month to keep open,” Mr Clifford says. “Because the company does not need the mine’s production to meet our current or expected customer demand, and because there is no prospect the mine can be run profitability, we have determined it has no chance whatsoever of attracting a buyer. We therefore must act to stem these losses.”

Solid Energy Board Chair, Andy Coupe, says the proposed stopping of mining at Huntly East Mine would end almost 140 years of underground coal mining in the Huntly district. “Directors recognise that if this goes ahead as proposed, it will be the end of an era, and not just for our staff members at the mine. Many, many people have connections to Huntly’s underground coal mining history and mining in the past has played a very important part in the economy of the region. This is but one of many difficult but important decisions that directors have had to make in recent months.

“This decision, however, should not be read as the end of underground coal mining in New Zealand. This individual mine has been in work for almost 40 years and over that time the working faces have moved further and further from its portals and deeper underground. So while this mine has no prospect of returning to profitability, that is not to say that underground coal mining may not be profitably done again in the future with a different set of conditions.”

Since the September 2013 restructure, Huntly East Mine has been producing 100,000 tonnes of coal a year, with a staff today of 68. Since this morning’s announcement, all but safety-critical underground work has been suspended and employees will be tasked with surface work.

If, after considering employees’ feedback, the decision is to proceed substantially as proposed today, all but three staff members’ roles would be disestablished and the people made redundant. The company would re-employ a small group of people on fixed-term contracts to undertake the mine closure work.

Full planning of a closure has still to be done, but it is likely the mine’s underground workings will be flooded and its entries permanently sealed.

Huntly East Mine began producing coal in 1978. Its peak production was 465,000 tonnes in the 2003/04 financial year.

[ends]


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Madrid Climate Talks: Decade Ending 2019 Likely To Be Hottest On Record

Exceptional global heat driven by greenhouse gas emissions mean this decade will most likely go down as the warmest on record, according to the World Meteorological Organization...

The agency also finds that 2019 is on track to be the second or third warmest year in history, with the global average temperature during January through October, roughly 1.1 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial era.

“If we do not take urgent climate action now, then we are heading for a temperature increase of more than 3°C by the end of the century, with ever more harmful impacts on human wellbeing.” More>>

 

NZ First Conflicts Of Interest: New Details Around Timeline

New information has emerged showing it was the New Zealand First chief of staff who identified potential conflicts of interest between a forestry company and two senior government ministers, sparking a series of declarations. More>>

Earlier:

Donations:

Five New Cancer Meds In Six Months: Pharmac Funds More Cancer Medicines, Faster Assessment

PHARMAC has confirmed that two new medicines – olaparib for ovarian cancer and fulvestrant for breast cancer – have been approved for funding... Rituximab and bortezomib, which are already funded, have also been approved for widened access following successful commercial proposals from new suppliers. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Stoking Fears About Cannabis Law Reform

It was always going to be hard to have a rational debate on cannabis reform. Far easier for politicians to win votes by stoking alarm... More>>

ALSO:

Tūhoronuku Mandate Recognition Ends: "New Opportunity" For Ngāpuhi Treaty Negotiations

The Crown is providing an opportunity for the hapu of Ngāpuhi to rebuild its framework from the ground up for collective negotiations to deal with its historical Treaty claims... More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Next Phase Of Recovery Underway

“Fresh air will be pumped into the Pike River Mine drift this week, following acceptance of the plan for re-entry beyond the 170m barrier by New Zealand’s independent health and safety regulator WorkSafe." More>>

ALSO:

Peters Stoic: Russia On Afghan Firing Range Deaths

The foreign minister won't be calling in the Russian ambassador concerning comments made about New Zealand soldiers in Afghanistan. In a media briefing late last month, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said New Zealand must investigate crimes against civilians. More>>

ALSO:

Christchurch Call: Online Crisis Response Workshop In Wellington

Governments and tech companies are holding a two-day workshop, hosted by YouTube/Google in Wellington, to test the Christchurch Call Shared Crisis Response Protocol. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 


 

InfoPages News Channels