Have your say on the Oranga Tamariki Legislation Bill
The bill would amend 12 interrelated Acts and aims to give full effect to parts of the Children, Young Persons, and their Families (Oranga Tamariki) Legislation Act 2017. It seeks to ensure that the benefits of the policy to include 17-year-olds in the youth justice jurisdiction are fully achieved. The inclusion of 17-year-olds in the youth justice jurisdiction will take effect on 1 July 2019.
• amend legislation to ensure that the extended youth justice jurisdiction is applied consistently across the justice system
• address drafting errors in the 2017 Act
• make a consequential amendment to the Children’s Commissioner Act 2003 to correct a cross-referencing error.
These changes are required to be enacted before 1 July 2019 to ensure that amendments made by the 2017 Act are consistent with the policy intent.
the Social Services and Community Committee what you
Send your submission on the bill by midnight on Wednesday 24 April 2019.
For more details about the bill:
• Read the contents of the bill
• Get more details about the bill