Simplified Disk-Based Backup And Recovery
Dell Simplifies Disk-Based Backup And Recovery With Integrated Data Protection Solution
• Configurations allow up to 52 percent faster backups or up to 77 percent  faster restores than tape backup solutions
• Choice of CommVault or Symantec management software, pre-installed and verified
• Setup and operational in less than 30 minutes versus hours for other commercial solutions
ROUND ROCK, Texas, Oct. 7, 2008 – Dell today announced the industry’s first integrated disk-to-disk (D2D) based backup and recovery solution – the Dell PowerVault DL2000 – that helps customers simplify data protection processes while slashing backup times by up to 52 percent and restore times by up to 77 percent1 compared to tape.
An integrated hardware and software platform, the DL2000 automates and simplifies the setup and management of disk-to-disk backup allowing customers to optimize resources through a tiered storage strategy. _The turnkey solution is designed to provide automated storage setup and centralized management to ease all aspects of backup, recovery and de-duplication. Advanced add-on features, such as archive and replication capabilities, can be integrated seamlessly to scale and increase functionality as business demands dictate.
Dell expects to make the system available later this month and offers Dell storage consulting services to help customers better understand their existing storage environments and provide a clear, actionable path to more efficient storage deployments and operations.
“Customers face exponential data growth and are struggling with the amount of critical information they have to store, manage and protect on a daily basis,” said Darren Thomas, vice president and general manager of Dell’s storage business. “They’re telling us they need ways to automate routine tasks. Our response is to deliver intelligent data management solutions that drastically simplify storage. The PowerVault DL2000 is an example of applying this approach to backup and recovery, helping IT managers focus their time, people and budgets on other critical projects.”
Tuscaloosa Computer Systems, Inc. (TUSCOM) is a regionally-based computer services firm that provides professional networking and software services to a multitude of organizations including insurance companies, banks, manufacturing plants, and small locally-owned businesses. “In my client base, I am constantly working with expanding data and the reality that tape drive systems are simply not able to keep pace with the need for rapid backup and restore,” said Jay Biggs, TUSCOM CEO and Dell PartnerDirect solution provider. “The DL2000 is a unique combination of disk technology and software that simply solves problems and does it fast. It’s fantastic to have a single unit that can backup and archive.”
Integrated Backup and Recovery Solution
Part of Dell’s new TierDisk family of products, the PowerVault DL2000 can be set up nearly 4.5 times faster than other commercially available, non-integrated systems. Offering up to 144TB of usable disk space, the solution is an ideal backup and recovery offering for small- to medium-sized organizations and branch offices looking for a simple, capable and affordable data protection solution.
The DL2000 eliminates the need for customers to configure RAID or allocate Logical Unit Numbers (LUNs) to their backup storage software. Automated dynamic disk provisioning configures and sets up the disks for immediate use and gets customers up and running 4.5 times faster than current non-integrated solutions. Additionally, storage capacity may be added on-the-fly without requiring customers to reconfigure or set up the device. When combined with the Dell PowerVault TL2000, TL4000, or ML6000 tape library, the DL2000 can provide all the advantages of backup-to-disk for rapid restoration, with the security of tape for offsite disaster recovery.
PowerVault DL2000 solutions come factory-installed and verified with either _CommVault® Simpana® or Symantec Backup Exec ™_ software, plus integrated tools that help customers setup the DL2000 in minutes versus hours.
• A centralized management console that sets backup tasks and policies for system monitoring and maintenance for large collections of local or remote physical or virtual servers.
• Single step granular recovery that couples the performance of disk-based recovery with application aware protection policies to help customers restore environments as much as 77 percent faster with CommVault
• Data management capabilities including data de-duplication, distributed protection for disaster recovery, synthetic full backups, and file and E-mail archival agents.
• An automated management console that can eliminate the need for manual installation and configuration, designed to help customers to complete set-up and initial deployment in less than 20 minutes.
• The ability to seamlessly transfer customers’ disc backups to tape from the same management console for offsite disaster recovery with the Dell PowerVault tape drives and libraries
• Advanced features such as continuous data protection for Exchange, SQL and File servers, protection for VMware™ and Microsoft virtual machines, and its patent-pending Granular Recovery Technology that allows users to perform a single-pass, application or system-level backup of Exchange, SharePoint, Active Directory, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V and VMware ESX and recover granular file level items such as Exchange emails, SharePoint documents or files and folders.
Modular Advisory Services, Not Armies of Consultants
Choosing the right backup solution is an important step in keeping customers’ critical information safe. So is having the right product and technical support. Dell storage consulting services help customers better understand their existing storage environments and provide a clear, actionable path to more efficient storage deployments and operations. Dell ProSupport provides businesses of all sizes with flexible, reliable, and easier support solutions. Dell ProSupport provides 7x24 direct access to Dell Expert Centers, fast-track dispatch for Dell-certified technicians and escalation management through Dell's Global Command Centers. These enhanced offerings can help protect investments, reduce risk, manage complexity, enhance productivity, and guard sensitive data.
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services they trust and value. Uniquely enabled by its direct business model, Dell is a leading global systems and services company and No. 34 on the Fortune 500. For more information, visit www.dell.com, or to communicate directly with Dell via a variety of online channels, go to www.dell.com/conversations. To get Dell news direct, visit www.dell.com/RSS.
# # #
Dell and the Dell logo are trademarks of Dell Inc.
Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
Pricing, specifications, availability, and terms of offers may change without notice. Taxes, fees, shipping, handling and any applicable restocking charges are extra, and vary. U.S. new purchases only. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors.
 When powered by Commvault based on 2008 survey commissioned by CommVault, available at dell.com/commvault.