Cablegate: Placement of President's Emergency Hiv/Aids
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS COLOMBO 000906
DEPT FOR INR/R/MR, I/RW, I/REC;
SA/INS(FOR JWALLER); SA/PD (FOR LJIRWIN, LSCENSNY)
DEPT FOR IIP/G/NEA (SDOMOWITZ); SA/PPD (JRONEY)
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: KPAO OIIP IR ZP CE
SUBJECT: PLACEMENT OF PRESIDENT'S EMERGENCY HIV/AIDS
REF: STATE 142342
1. Reftel requested posts to use IIP materials to publicize
the president's new HIV/AIDS initiative.
2. Colombo used two IIP products to splash the rollout
across the Sri Lankan press.
- News File. During noon and evening newscasts "News File"
clips describing the initiative were used by MTV
(independent English telecaster) and its Sinhala- and
Tamil-medium affiliates, as well as by SWARNAVAHINI
(independent Sinhala telecaster).
- Washington file. The May 27 Washington File piece, "Bush
Signs Initiative to Fight AIDS Abroad," was placed in the
DAILY NEWS (government-owned English daily), the ISLAND
(independent English daily), and THINAKARAN (government-
owned Tamil daily).
3. We await receipt of the generic op-eds described in
reftel, and will use them as appropriate in the Sri Lankan