Cablegate: Southeast Turkey Press Summary,
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 02 ADANA 0212
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL PINS PGOV PHUM TU IZ ADANA
SUBJECT: SOUTHEAST TURKEY PRESS SUMMARY,
AUGUST 07, 2003
1. This is the Southeastern Turkey press summary
for August 07, 2003. Please note that Turkish
press reports often contain errors or
exaggerations; AmConsulate Adana does not vouch
for the accuracy of the reports summarized here.
POLITICAL, SECURITY, HUMAN RIGHTS
2. Evrensel / Yuksekova Prosecutors' Office
started investigation on the DEHAP
(Democratic People's Party) women who sent
their white headscarves to the President.
Prosecutors' office brought suit against
the women for helping and supporting KADEK.
3. Evrensel / In Diyarbakir, Kenan Dogu was
arrested for having five copies of Azadiye
Welat (Free Motherland)-Banned Kurdish
4. Evrensel, Turkiye / In Nusaybin/Mardin two
KADEK terrorists died during a clash
between Turkish soldiers.
5. Milli Gazete / In Hakkari about 500 women
from DEHAP protested the fights between
tribes by sitting in front of Ataturk
6. Hurriyet / In Silopi a boarding school is
going to be used for the rehabilitation of
PKK militants who would surrender under the
new amnesty law.
7. Hurriyet, Milliyet / PKK attacked a police
corner in Mardin. Two policemen died during
the attack. It is believed that this was a
planned action in order to prevent the PKK
8. Turkiye / Hikmet Tan, Governor of Van
called all PKK/KADEK militants to
surrender. Tan stated that rehabilitation
centers would supply all the necessary
services including barbers, communication,
food and clothing.
9. Hurriyet / In Payas/Hatay women walked to
protest against the coal dust they have
been breathing for 20 years. A contractor
possesses the authority to use the coal-
sieving workshop. Women claimed that there
is an increase in the cancer cases in the
area due to the coal.
10. Turkiye / Security officials arrested Turan
Ari from Turkish Hizbullah in Mersin. Ari
is responsible for the murder of three
people in Mersin.
11. Bolge / According to Etem Acikalin from
Adana (HRO) Human Rights Organization the
new amnesty law would not help the Kurdish
problem. HRO gathered in a park to protest
the new law.
12. Bolge / Osman Yilmaz, head of the youth
branch of Workers' Party stated that they
don't want the government giving grants to
poor students to study in Islamic private
13. Radikal / Nusret Miroglu, Governor of
Diyarbakir announced that about 10,000
people returned to their villages in
Diyarbakir. Governor stated also that they
are helping the villagers to build their
14. Sabah Guney / M. Yasar Ozgul new Head for
GAP announced that they have completed
about %50 of the GAP projects.
15. Turkiye / Japanese tourists are the
frequent visitors of Nemrud in Adiyaman.