Cablegate: Southeast Turkey Press Summary,
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS ADANA 0214
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL PINS PGOV PHUM TU IZ ADANA
SUBJECT: SOUTHEAST TURKEY PRESS SUMMARY,
AUGUST 09-10-11, 2003
1. This is the Southeastern Turkey press summary
for August 09-10-11, 2003. Please note that
Turkish press reports often contain errors or
exaggerations; AmConsulate Adana does not vouch
for the accuracy of the reports summarized here.
POLITICAL, SECURITY, HUMAN RIGHTS
2. Milli Gazete / Izzet Soysal, son of
Gozpinar Mayor in Batman, is at the
hospital after a gun attack. The
investigation of the attack continues.
3. Tercuman / In Tunceli the government
released five old women who were arrested
for helping PKK/KADEK. The women spent
about three years in prison.
4. Turkiye / After the attack resulting in the
death of two policemen in Mardin, security
officials took extra security measures in
5. Tercuman / In Adana authorities arrested
Cengiz Ilhantekin. Ilhantekin allegedly
hired K.O to kill Bar Attorney Mehmet
6. Turkiye, Hurriyet / About 600 PKK/KADEK
members wait on Sirnak rurals for
7. Milliyet / About 100 PKK/KADEK members
applied to officials for surrender in
8. Turkiye / Hasan Yilmaz, Assistant Chief of
Hatay Policemen, was found dead in his
house. Yilmaz had started his position in
Hatay a few days ago.
9. Expres, Cumhuriyet, Milli Gazete
/"Volunteers for the Environment"
gathered on the banks of Tigris and
protested against the pollution in Tigris
River. They announced that the pollution in
the river affects the people who use the
water for drinking and cooking purposes.
10. Turkiye, Express / Businessman Namik Bicer
exported 200 mobile toilets for the
American soldiers in Iraq. Bicer also
stated that they are exporting about 5000
school desks to Iraq.
11. Turkiye / In Bilgi village in Van five
people are said to have anthrax.
TOURISM and CULTURE
12. Turkiye / Two German architects arrived in
Hasankeyf/Batman for the restoration of El
13. Turkiye / UNESCO nominated Hatay and Bursa
as candidates for "World Town of Peace".