Cablegate: Southeast Turkey Press Summary
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 02 ADANA 0218
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL PINS PGOV PHUM TU IZ ADANA
SUBJECT: SOUTHEAST TURKEY PRESS SUMMARY
AUGUST 16-17-18, 2003
1. This is the Southeastern Turkey press summary
for August 16-17-18, 2003. Please note that
Turkish press reports often contain errors or
exaggerations; AmConsulate Adana does not vouch
for the accuracy of the reports summarized here.
POLITICAL, SECURITY, HUMAN RIGHTS
2. Turkiye / Syrian citizen, Abdulkadir Alhaj
Jouma is married to a Turkish woman in
Gaziantep for eight years but is not
allowed to get residence permit from the
3. Turkiye, Bolge / In Ergani/Diyarbakir
villagers paniced with the news of
anthrax. Bozyer village in the area is
under quarantine. Health authorities sent
medical aid to the area.
4. Turkiye, Cumhuriyet / Two Syrians and a
Turkish citizen were arrested in Gaziantep
with about 47kg of marijuana they brought
from Syria. The total value of the
marijuana is about 100 billion TL.
5. Sabah Guney / Gendarme Forces in Hatay
found 10 kg of heroin in a truck and
arrested Huseyin Turk for intending to sell
6. Hurriyet / Security forces found 58 kg of
heroin in Van. Heroin was hidden in a
truck coming from Yuksekova/Hakkari.
7. Turkiye, Cumhuriyet / At a meeting of
Medical doctors in Antakya; Fusun Sayek,
Head of the Medical Doctors' Association in
Turkey, announced that doctors will be
protesting against the government in
October due to problems they experience.
8. Turkiye / Osman Uluc was elected as the new
head of CHP in Sanliurfa.
9. Bolge / Mustafa Koseoglu and Necmettin Atay
were rechosen as the heads of CHP in Seyhan
10. Zaman, Bolge / Cem Uzan, Head of Genc
Party, visited Adana at the weekend to
attend his party's annual meeting. The
local people didn't welcome Uzan. The
crowds protested his visit to Adana by
throwing eggs at him.
11. Zaman / Burak Varol, broke the windows of
Imarbank in Adana to protest against their
unethical system in banking. Varol's
father had about 15 billion TL investment
money at the bank. (Editor's Note: This is
the bank associated with Uzan family
12. Evrensel / Kurdish mothers in Diyarbakir
wanted a general amnesty instead of the new
"Home Return" law.
13. Bolge / Extraordinary precaution was taken
in Southeast area at the weekend due to the
possible August 15 attacks.
AUGUS 16-17-18, 2003
14. Turkiye / In Reyhanli/Hatay 27 of the 31
village heads joined in AKP.
15. Turkiye / The success in the first crops of
rice in Sanliurfa is going to help with the
coming years' planning for farming.
16. Tercuman/ In Van digging for the remnants
of The Urartian capital "Tuspa" is in
process for 13 years. Professor Oktay Belli
is leading the project. Urartians used to
live in the region in 7-8 BC.
17. Turkiye / Sanliurfa Governor applied UNESCO
to include Sanliurfa in the list of
"protection needed cultural areas".