Cablegate: Southeast Turkey Press Summary,
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS ADANA 0219
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL PINS PGOV PHUM TU IZ ADANA
SUBJECT: SOUTHEAST TURKEY PRESS SUMMARY,
AUGUST 19, 2003
1. This is the Southeastern Turkey press summary
for August 19, 2003. Please note that Turkish
press reports often contain errors or
exaggerations; AmConsulate Adana does not vouch
for the accuracy of the reports summarized here.
POLITICAL, SECURITY, HUMAN RIGHTS
2. Evrensel / In Ergani/ Diyarbakir four
children from the same family contracted
anthrax. Health authorities continue to
keep anthrax under control.
3. Zaman / In Sirnak a couple crossed the Iraq
border to benefit from the "Home Return"
Law. The couple has a two-year-old child.
4. Zaman / The Architects' Association in
Adana announced their disagreement with the
government concerning privatization of the
state schools and sale of the state forest
5. Turkiye / Security Forces in Caldiran/Van
found 58 Pakistanis who entered Turkey
illegally through Iran.
6. Cumhuriyet / Members of PKK/KADEK are
uncomfortable about the announcements of
the press about them. Abdi Cengiz,
Diyarbakir prosecutor stated that the
families of the members of PKK/KADEK are
threatened by PKK/KADEK.
7. Zaman, Bolge / During his visit in Adana
Binali Yildirim, Minister of Transport,
announced that marine transporters would be
exempt from tax starting from January.