Cablegate: Southeast Turkey Press Summary May 26, 2004
UNCLAS ADANA 000065
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL PINS PGOV PHUM IZ TU ADANA
SUBJECT: SOUTHEAST TURKEY PRESS SUMMARY MAY 26, 2004
1. This is the Southeastern Turkey press summary for May 26,
2004. Please note that Turkish press reports often contain
errors or exaggerations; AmConsulate Adana does not vouch for
the accuracy of the reports summarized here.
POLITICAL, SECURITY, HUMAN RIGHTS
2. Ulkede Gundem / In Pervari, Siirt province, five DEHAP
members were detained by security officers.
3. Ulkede Gundem / In Tunceli and Elazig provinces, Youth
Associations' Federation members gathered to protest against the
late June Istanbul NATO Summit. The group shouted "Istanbul will
be a graveyard for NATO."
4. Milliyet / In Mersin Free Zone, the Mersin Jandarma and
Security Office detained five customs officers, including the
director of the Mersin Free Zone. All the documents and
computers in the Customs Office were taken to the security
office. It is reported that the detained officers allegedly
were involved in bribery.
CULTURE and TOURISM
5. Zaman / Erkan Mumcu, Minister of Cultural Affairs,
announced that the Zeugma mosaics will not be displayed in
Istanbul for the NATO Summit, due to a lack of time to prepare