Cablegate: Din/Odi Access Waiver Request - Kinshasa
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS KINSHASA 001174
DEPT FOR PD TRANSITION OFFICE, IRM/BPC/CST/LD/OB-AF,
IRM/OPS/ENM, AF/EX/SYS; AF/PD AMJOHNSON
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: AADP ACOA AMGT ANET ASEC KPAO KRIM OIIP
SUBJECT: DIN/ODI ACCESS WAIVER REQUEST - KINSHASA
REF: (A) STATE 111479; (B) 5FAM872
This telegram is submitted to request approval of a
Dedicated Internet Network (DIN) Access Waiver for the
American Cultural Center and Public Affairs Section,
Kinshasa. Per 5FAM872, please find below the requested
1. Post or bureau name;
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
2. Post or bureau point of contact, e-mail address, and
Floyd L. Wilson, WilsonFL@state.gov, (243) 81-884-0255
3. Location serviced by DIN;
American Cultural Center, JAO Compound, 498 Ave. Colonel
Lukusa - PAS section (IRC, Auditorium, and Audio-Visual
technician). The system also supports the Commercial
Assistant located at the American Cultural Center building.
4. Type of Internet access service (DSL, dial-up, other);
Wireless ISP, T1 LAN - (with 128 Kpbs in uplink and 128 Kpbs
5. Configuration details (number of connections, users,
rooms to be served);
One wireless ISP connection is used for the following:
- Proxy-server (2, i.e. 1 at ISC, 1 at IRC)
- Development and testing (2 workstations at ISC)
- Public access workstations for IRC (8 terminals)
- Public access workstation for Commercial Library (1
- Back up workstations at IRC staff & Audio-Visual
technician desks (3 terminals)
- All the workstations are connected to one modem
- Projected DVC equipment to (possibly) connect in the next
- Allow public internet access for those doing research
6. Purpose of the service;
The DIN will serve to provide the following:
- Public access Internet workstations, for research, online
forums, online courses, memo stick for copying large files,
- IP video conference out of OpenNet
- Test and develop new applications and related (tutorial)
- Serve as back up in case OpenNet is unavailable
7. Reason requirement cannot be satisfied through OpenNet
Plus: Public Access, development, demonstration, and
testing of new applications is not permitted on OpenNet
- Public use of IRC utilization cannot help to control
unfiltered websites, which may contain harmful data, as
OpenNet is for clear USG users.
- IRC staff assists outside contacts, as the latter cannot
use OpenNet connected PCs and screens.
- DVC equipment requiring a larger bandwidth, would have a
negative impact on other Embassy staff work during normal
work hours; as well as security reasons.
- For speed and security purposes, a local ISP will be more
8. What post/bureau is doing to reduce risks: Symantec
Anti-virus is installed on all PCs and the server. This is
updated regularly. No firewalls.
9. Projected costs: Cost for annual Internet service
subscription is $25,4476.00. This annual total amount is to
be paid quarterly, at $6,369.00 per quarter. The unit
monthly price is $2,123.00.
10. Timeframe of exception: Unlimited or until the
Department offers and authorizes appropriate public access
Internet through OpenNet.