Cablegate: Spain: Response to Demarche On Unep's Strategic
UNCLAS MADRID 002398
STATE FOR OES/ENV AND IO/EDA
NAIROBI FOR PERMREP TO UNEP
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: EAID ECON PREL SENV SP
SUBJECT: SPAIN: RESPONSE TO DEMARCHE ON UNEP'S STRATEGIC
PLAN FOR CAPACITY BUILDING
REF: SECSTATE 135301
1. We shared reftel points with Ana Paredes, MFA Subdirector
General for International Technical Organizations and Amparo
Ramblas, Deputy Director for International Relations,
Ministry of Environment.
2. Paredes responded that she has not heard of any proposed
plan that would require the UNEP to direct or oversee the
work of autonomous bodies. She added that France is
proposing a world agency on the environment supported by
Germany and opposed by Austria. Paredes said that Spain
takes a neutral posture on France's proposal.
3. Paredes requested that we send her a copy of the talking
points so that she could consult appropriately with technical
staff, which we declined to provide per reftel instructions
4. Amparo Ramblas said that she would inform the appropriate
Spanish mission of reftel points.
5. Comment: Paredes said that she recently pressed for the
GOS to adopt a USG position, only to learn from upset GOS
officials upon their return from negotiations that the USG
reversed its position without informing the GOS. She is now
reluctant to act upon a USG demarche without receiving a
written request. End Comment.