Cablegate: Human Rights Vetting for Rwandan Defense Forces
UNCLAS KIGALI 001166
DEPARTMENT FOR AF/C, AF/RSA AND AF/SPG
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL MARR MASS PHUM RW SU
SUBJECT: HUMAN RIGHTS VETTING FOR RWANDAN DEFENSE FORCES
DEPLOYING TO DARFUR
REF: BITTRICK-RUFFING EMAIL OF 08/12/04
1. This is an action request for the Department (please see
2. The RDF will deploy the following unit to Darfur, on or
around August 14:
-- A Co, 99th BN, 305th BDE, from Kibuye
The company is not (NOT) a composite unit.
-- The following officers are OPCON in support of the
CAPT Fred Muziraguharara Deputy Commander
CAPT (DR) Mark Rugyeminiwaza Unit Physician
LT Abdhl Kabagyema Translator/staff officer
WO1 Gabriel Gahondogo Logistics Officer-in-Charge
3. Embassy Kigali has reviewed its files and has found no
information concerning gross human rights violations by the
unit or any of the individuals named above.
4. ACTION REQUEST FOR DEPARTMENT: Please complete human
rights vetting for these names as soon as possible and inform
Embassy of findings.
5. Inquiries regarding this information may be directed to
LTC John Ruffing, DAO, Embassy Kigali.