Cablegate: Fm Bot Visit to Indonesia August 25-27
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS THE HAGUE 002250
STATE FOR EUR AND EAP
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL PGOV ID NL
SUBJECT: FM BOT VISIT TO INDONESIA AUGUST 25-27
1. (SBU) During an August 25-27 visit to Indonesia, Dutch FM
Bot met with Indonesian FM Nur Hassan Wirayuda, as well as
with President Megawati and Presidential Candidate Susilo
Yudhoyono. Bot discussed both bilateral issues and, in his
EU Presidency capacity, the EU-Indonesian relationship.
Poloff received the following readout of the subjects
discussed from Dutch MFA Indonesia deskoff Max Valstar on
September 2. Valstar noted that the formal public readout
will be presented to parliament in an open letter early in
the week of September 6.
2. (U) Drawing from the EU position on this subject, Bot
called on the GOI to implement the special autonomy law for
3. (SBU) Wirayuda said that the situation in Aceh is
"improving". Bot called on Wirayuda to ensure that EU
diplomats, who have not yet been allowed access, are allowed
to visit Aceh.
4. (U) Drawing from the EU position on this subject, Bot
expressed concern about the recent break in the death penalty
moratorium that had been informally imposed since 1994.
East Timor Tribunal
5. (SBU) Bot expressed concern about the East Timor
Tribunal's lack of results, and supported follow-up by the UN.
6. (U) The two governments renewed an MOU "for intensifying
bilateral cooperation on many fronts."
7. (U) Bot looks to "intensify the EU-Indonesia relationship"
including by an EU Troika visit in late October (date is
still under discussion), which will include a meeting with
the newly-installed cabinet and will provide assurances of
continuing interest in and the importance the EU attaches to
8. (SBU) The Netherlands will give 5 million euros to the
Jakarta Center for Law Enforcement Cooperation (JCLEC), but
there has not yet been a decision about which precise
project(s) the money will fund.
9. (SBU) The two ministers discussed ways to support moderate
Islam, and thereby counter radical fundamentalism.
10. (SBU) Bot and Wirayuda discussed the decision "not yet
formalized" about Burmese participation in the October 8
Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM). Both Bot and Wirayuda expressed
disappointment with Burma's lack of progress domestically.