Cablegate: Update On Offer of Assistance From Peru For
UNCLAS LIMA 003832
STATE PASS TO USAID/OFDA
HQ USNORTHCOM PASS J-3
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: AEMR EAID PREL PE
SUBJECT: UPDATE ON OFFER OF ASSISTANCE FROM PERU FOR
HURRICANE KATRINA RELIEF
REF: A. SECSTATE 163428
B. SECSTATE 163366
1. The Government of Peru, after being informed by the
Ambassador of the priority needs listed in Ref B, is
developing an assistance package likely to be composed of
canned seafood (in lieu of MREs), sheets, t-shirts and
non-pharmaceutical medical and veterinary supplies. (Note:
President Alejandro Toledo informed the Ambassador that he
discussed providing canned seafood in lieu of MREs in a
telephone conversation with Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld on
9/4. End Note.)
2. Host Government point of contact is Daul Matute, the
Foreign Ministry's Director of Security and Defense Affairs,
who speaks fluent English. His office phone number is (511)
311-2929, Cell Phone (511) 9867-3159.
3. Embassy Lima's point of contact is Political Counselor
Alexander Margulies. Office phone (511) 618-2511; Cell Phone
(511) 9909-6575, Home Phone (511) 372-1180.
4. Embassy will provide specific information on the
assistance offered by Peru as soon as it is known.
5. Embassy GSO has spoken to local representatives of U.S.
airlines that service Lima, all of whom have offered to
provide transportation of GOP donations to the following
locations in the U.S.:
-- Continental Airlines - Houston, Texas
-- American Airlines - Dallas/Fort Worth
-- Delta Airlines - Atlanta.