Cablegate: Isaf: Turkey and France Agree to Shared Command Of
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS ANKARA 006323
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: MOPS KPKO PREL TU FR AF NATO
SUBJECT: ISAF: TURKEY AND FRANCE AGREE TO SHARED COMMAND OF
KABUL MULTINATIONAL BRIGADE
1. On Oct. 18, PolMilOff discussed with COL Yakub Battal of
the TGS J3 the state of play of negotiations between France
and Turkey on their proposal to jointly command ISAF's Kabul
Multinational Brigade beginning in mid-2006. Battal reported
that France and Turkey have reached agreement, and would
announce this at a joint briefing in Paris on Oct. 21.
2. Battal faxed the following notification to the Embassy the
same day. Informal Embassy translation follows (note
internal paragraph numbering):
Reference: French General Staff's fax of September 22, 2005
1. Meetings were held on September 7, 2005 in Ankara and on
October 14, 2005 in Paris between Turkey and France related
to the Kabul Regional Command, which is to be established in
2. As a result of the meetings, Turkey and France reached a
mutual understanding to serve as the leadership countries for
the Kabul Regional Command.
3. Information will be provided at a briefing on October 21,
2005 in Paris, France, to be co-chaired by Turkey and France.
France has sent an invitation for the meeting by letter and
through the Defense Attache Offices in Paris.
4. Our country will be pleased to contribute to the Kabul