Cablegate: Ct Finance; Kenyan Nominees for Regulatory
DE RUEHNR #3262 2090449
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 280449Z JUL 06
FM AMEMBASSY NAIROBI
TO SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 3293
UNCLAS NAIROBI 003262
DEPT FOR INL/C/CP and S/CT
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: KCRM KJUS KTFN PTER PREL KE
SUBJECT: CT Finance; Kenyan Nominees for Regulatory
Training Program in September
REF: A) Novis-Fleitman e-mail July 21 B) State 116835
SENSITIVE BUT UNCLASSIFIED
1. (SBU) Post's main interlocutor for CT finance issues is
the GOK's interagency Anti-Money Laundering Task Force.
Post approves of the following list of officials proposed
by the AML for the September training program in Reftel B.
All appear to be well-qualified and working in relevant
positions for the class material and the training should
improve their ability to combat CT finance and cooperate
with the USG.
- Mr. James Manyonge, Banking Supervision, Central Bank
Kenya, NTF Secretariat.
- Mr. S. K. Rono, Banking Supervision, Central Bank Kenya,
- Mr. S. K. Keter, Parliamentary Council, Attorney
- Mr. Francis Okonya, Director - Banking Fraud
- Mr. James Buyela, Assistant Commissioner, Investigations,
Kenya Revenue Authority.
2. (SBU) None of the nominees' agencies can fund their
travel, and they can participate only if USG covers airfare
and hotel. Please confirm Ref A indication that INL and
S/CT would be able to provide this funding.
3. The Embassy POC is Econ Section Randy Fleitman at 254-20-