Cablegate: Amemb Sanaa 9/22 Daily Sitrep
P 220747Z SEP 08
FM AMEMBASSY SANAA
TO SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 0337
UNCLAS SANAA 001564
OP CENTER, NEA/FO, NEA/ARP, M, AND NEA/SCA/EX
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ASEC PTER YM
SUBJECT: AMEMB SANAA 9/22 DAILY SITREP
1. Security: RSO is still coordinating residential security
issues with the host nation. Security upgrades inside Hadda
Compound are fully in place. DS has agreed to a controlled
release to certain ROYG security services of the video of the
attack. RSO will coordinate with the relevant section heads
to complete this.
2. Consular: Security screening issues will limit access for
consular services to a few genuine emergency cases the rest
of this week. We expect to be able to admit approximately
twenty persons per day starting next week.
3. Media: The local press is reporting that Yemeni security
have arrested six people who sent a threat message to "a
foreign embassy" under the name of Islamic Jihad. We're
looking into it.
4. Investigation: Legat Sana'a learned that Yemen News took
an extensive amount of footage of the crime scene shortly
after the attack and while the scene was still being worked
by MOI. Legat is working with the PAO to obtain copies of
the raw footage. Evidence recovery inside the compound is
ongoing. The FBI forensics team continues their
investigation at the morgue, and Amcit victim Susan
el-Baneh's remains may now be released to her family for
burial. The forensic examination of the terrorists' remains
5. TDY Assistance: The RMO/P arrived this morning for a
6. Embassy Operations: Our LES colleagues return to work on
Tuesday 9/23. We plan to hold a Town Hall to welcome them
back, brief them on the attack, outline procedures for
pursuing compensation for damaged personal property, and
introduce the RMO/P.
7. AD Takers: To date five official Americans have decided to
go on Authorized Departure (AD) status. Details will be
provided via e-mail.