Cablegate: Human Rights Vetting for Individual to Attend the Special
DE RUEHPF #0998 3510309
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 160309Z DEC 08
FM AMEMBASSY PHNOM PENH
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 0211
INFO RUEKJCS/CJCS WASHDC
RHHMUNA/USCINCPAC HONOLULU HI//JC/J3/J4/J45/J5/FPA//
RHHMUNS/COMSOCPAC HONOLULU HI//SOJ32
UNCLAS PHNOM PENH 000998
DEPARTMENT FOR PM-HDP, DRL, EAP/MLS, EAP/RSP AND S/GHD
E. O 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL MOPS PHUM MARR MASS CB
SUBJECT: HUMAN RIGHTS VETTING FOR INDIVIDUAL TO ATTEND THE SPECIAL
OPERATIONS COMBATING TERRORISM COURSE (SPEC/OPS COMBTNG)
FROM JANUARY 26-FEBRUARY 6, 2009 AT DHURAFSOC SCHOOL AT HURLBURT
FIELD, FLORIDA, USA
REF: 03 SECSTATE 034981
1. This is an action cable. See Paragraph Six.
2. Reftel is guidance for screening nominees for U.S. sponsored
3. To comply with the Leahy amendment relative to U.S. sponsored
security assistance training, the U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh has
conducted local human rights vetting for the following individual
selected for the Special Operations Combating Terrorism Course
(SPEC/OPS COMBTNG) from January 26-February 6, 2009 at DHURAFSOC
School at Hurlburt Field, Florida, USA.
--Captain Yin Sothy, Date of Birth: December 13, 1973, Place of
Birth: Kampot Province, POSITION: Chief of Training,
Counter-Terrorism Armed Force.
4. U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh has reviewed its files and finds that, as
of this date, it possesses no credible information of gross
violations of human rights by the above individual.
5. Individual will attend the Special Operations Combating Terrorism
Course (SPEC/OPS COMBTNG) from January26-February 6, 2009 at
DHURAFSOC School at Hurlburt Field, Florida, USA.
6. Action request: Please verify whether the Department possesses
any credible information that the individual named above has been
implicated in gross violations of human rights.
7. Points of contacts for Amembassy Phnom Penh are Major Wayne
Turnbull at firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 855-23-728-219, or Janet
Deutsch at email@example.com or tel: 855-23-728-118.