Cablegate: Goss Enters Diplomatic Compounds in Juba Sweep for Arms
OO RUEHROV RUEHTRO
DE RUEHKH #1046/01 2541001
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
O 111001Z SEP 09 ZDK CTG RUEHBJ 4158 2570003
FM AMEMBASSY KHARTOUM
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 4406
INFO RUCNIAD/IGAD COLLECTIVE
RUEHGG/UN SECURITY COUNCIL COLLECTIVE
UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 02 KHARTOUM 001046
NSC FOR MGAVIN, LETIM
DEPT PLS PASS USAID FOR AFR/SUDAN
ADDIS ABABA ALSO FOR USAU
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PGOV PREL PHUM MOPS UNSC SU
SUBJECT: GOSS Enters Diplomatic Compounds in Juba Sweep for Arms
KHARTOUM 00001046 001.2 OF 002
1. (U) Summary: Police and soldiers blocked roads and searched homes
for illegal weapons in a disarmament operation ordered by the
Government of Southern Sudan's (GOSS) Ministry of Internal Affairs
conducted at dawn, September 9 in Juba. Residents of Juba,
including United Nations staff, were ordered to remain at home, and
the diplomatic compounds of Egypt, the European Union and United
Nations were entered and searched. The drive coincided with the
arrival in Juba of National Congress Party (NCP) delegates and
Special Envoy Scott Gration for tri-party talks with the Sudan
People's Liberation Movement (SPLM). End Summary.
GOSS Launches Juba Disarmament Sweep
2. (U) Residents of Juba were confined to their homes and soldiers
posted on street corners, stopping traffic, while security forces
swept Juba on the morning of September 9. The disarmament campaign,
initiated in Juba, is commanded by Major General James Ajungo Mawut.
Kuol Diem Kuol, Spokesperson for the Sudan People's Liberation Army
(SPLA) called the sweep "a disarmament effort to take illegally held
guns from the people." Kuol said the SPLA is supporting the police
who are the forces leading this action. All movement of vehicles
and people was restricted until approximately 11:00 a.m.
3. (SBU) Initial reports indicate that a significant number of
weapons were seized, including rocket propelled grenade launchers.
There are also reports of minor theft and violence by security
forces involved in the operation. An American citizen reported to
U.S. Consulate staff that during a search of his vehicle he
witnessed security forces taking a large sum of money from his
4. (SBU) The disarmament operation continued September 10, with new
road blocks established on the outskirts of Juba, while roadblocks
and searches continued, although to a lesser extent, in central
Juba. The situation in Juba on September 10 appeared calm.
Brigadier General Moses Majok Adol, Director of the Criminal
Investigation Division at the South Sudan Police Service, told U.S.
Consulate staff that operations in Juba would continue at least two
more days, and then move to nearby villages.
Diplomats and UN Searched
5. (U) Diplomatic vehicles and compounds were not immune to the
search. Sources indicate that the Egyptian and European Union
diplomatic compounds were entered and searched. According to
Embassy of the Netherlands Ambassador Norbert Braakhis, whose
country is responsible for the EU compound in Juba, two of the
guards at the latter were injured by police during the September 9
raid. Ambassador Braakhuis said he had already complained to GoSS
Minister of Regional Affairs Oayi Deng about the forced intrusion
into the EU compound. According to Braakhis, the GoSS has a
representative to the EU in Brussels. Braakhis said he intended to
ask EU Brussels to call the GoSS representative in to protest the
raid. U.S. Consulate staff in Juba stated that U.S. vehicles with
diplomatic plates were stopped and searched on numerous occasions.
Security forces also searched hotel rooms, including rooms occupied
by U.S Consulate staff, but U.S. and British compounds were not
6. (SBU) On September 9, security forces forcibly entered and
searched a UN Agency resident compound, a UN Agency office compound
and several international non-governmental organization compounds.
UN activities were disrupted, and UN flights canceled and delayed.
One UN national staff member was hospitalized after being assaulted
by security forces at his residence in the Hai Munuki area of Juba,
allegedly because the staff member refused to allow authorities to
verify a weapon he claimed to own.
7. (U) In a diplomatic note, the GoSS apologized to the diplomatic
community resident in Juba for its search of consulates and
residences, stating that the searches were not sanctioned and that
the GoSS would ensure that such actions did not reoccur. However,
Charge Whitehead, in Juba with Special Envoy Gration for the
Trilateral Talks, reported additional problems occurred on September
10, including entry into India's diplomatic compound.
No Disruption of Trilateral Talks
8. (U) The Tri-lateral talks were not significantly affected by the
security situation. NCP delegates to the talks in Juba attended
scheduled meetings and did not report issues with security forces.
Special Envoy Gration moved around the city accompanied by a truck
containing SPLA soldiers. Other vehicles used by the delegation
KHARTOUM 00001046 002 OF 002
were also afforded an SPLA escort and thereafter were not searched.
9. (SBU) Comment: Previous disarmament campaigns in Sudan have
generally been viewed as heavy-handed, biased, and ineffective. At
least initially, the current campaign appears better-managed than
other attempts at civilian disarmament. However, entry into
diplomatic compounds in Juba raises concerns about the GoSS's
respect for diplomatic immunity and its ability to control the
actions of police and security forces.