Cablegate: West Sumatra Earthquake: Request Dod Assistance
OO RUEHDT RUEHPB
DE RUEHJA #1648 2750351
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
O 020351Z OCT 09
FM AMEMBASSY JAKARTA
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 3458
INFO RUEHGV/USMISSION GENEVA 7956
RHHJJPI/PACOM IDHS HONOLULU HI
RUCNARF/ASEAN REGIONAL FORUM COLLECTIVE
UNCLAS JAKARTA 001648
STATE FOR EAP, USAID FOR DCHA/OFDA KLUU, ACONVERY, AND RTHAYER, ANE
FOR KROSEN, BANGKOK FOR ADWYER, NSC FOR PMARCHAM, GENEVA FOR NKYLOH,
PACOM POLAD/J3/J5 FROM CHARGE OSIUS
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PGOV CASC ECON EAID SENV ID
SUBJECT: WEST SUMATRA EARTHQUAKE: REQUEST DOD ASSISTANCE
Reftel: Jakarta 01647 and previous.
Following is an action request.
1. Embassy Jakarta is formally requesting Department of Defense
assistance. We ask that the Department forward this request to DOD
as quickly as possible.
2. At the request of the Government of Indonesia, Embassy Jakarta is
* That the US C-130 which is in Indonesia for Exercise Teak Iron be
granted a change of mission. The exercise should be cancelled and
the C-130 should start flying supplies to Padang.
* That a HARRT and field hospital (people, supplies, and equipment)
* That the USS Ronald Reagan be diverted to Padang. This would be
primarily for its fresh water and electrical power generation
* That a HAST be deployed.
* That you consider, per GOI request, sending generators, gasoline
to power the generators and heavy excavation equipment.
3. DAO Crisis Action Team point of contact for this request is Col
Richard C. Stockton at email@example.com and by phone: office -
(62)(21)3435-9193 and cell - (62) 811-800-1871.