Cablegate: Request to Renew Authorization of Cash Payments in Excess of $3,000
DE RUEHMU #0963 2751755
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 021755Z OCT 09
FM AMEMBASSY MANAGUA
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC 4618
INFO RUEHFSC/USOFFICE FSC CHARLESTON 5723
UNCLAS MANAGUA 000963
DEPT FOR RM/FPRA/FP
DEPT FOR INL
FMC CHARLESTON FOR USDO
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: AFIN ABUD AMGT SNAR NU
SUBJECT: REQUEST TO RENEW AUTHORIZATION OF CASH PAYMENTS IN EXCESS OF $3,000
REF: A. 2008 SECSTATE 126468
B. 2008 MANAGUA 1313
1. (U) THIS IS AN ACTION REQUEST. PLEASE SEE PARA 5 FOR
2. (U) Post appreciates RM's cooperation in 2008 in granting
a 12-month waiver under 4 FAH-3 H-394.2-1 Cash Payment
Limitation for specific INL operations involving cash
payments in excess of USD 3,000, allowing cash payments of
approximately $10,000 (REF A).
3. (SBU) As noted in REF B, these payments are made under an
INL/DEA program to support host government National Police
with narcotics interdiction efforts. The support is in the
form of travel per diem and fuel. Checks and/or electronic
funds transfers are not feasible in the current political
climate and would put this operation at risk.
4. (SBU) Post continues to adhere to proper controls per INL
guidance and DEA operational procedures to ensure the funds
are expended in accordance with the existing letter of
agreement (LOA) with the host government.
5. (U) ACTION REQUEST. The existing waiver will expire on
October 31, 2009. Post requests an extension or a renewal of
the waiver granted in REF A.
6. (U) The point of contact for this request is Financial
Management Officer, Margarita Halle.